Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if anyone in Florida or the neighboring states was planning on attending the Race. It should be a good one this year as 2 new classes have been added.....the Le Mans Prototype Challenge (LMPC) and The Grand Touring Challenge (GTC). There will also be the unveiling of the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon Limited Edition. I will be attending with 1 of the events major sponsors, and several of the gang from FloridaSubaru's.com will be there as well. If anyone will be going post up here as it will be nice to meet some old/new freinds.

Info can be found here: Sebring International Raceway

Fast Facts:
Sebring International Raceway is a 3.7 mile, 17-turn circuit. It is the Oldest road course in North America, portions of which were originally a WWII B-17 training base.

3,360 cars have started the 12 Hours of Sebring, covering over 2.3 million miles on the famous circuit.

102 drivers have won the 12 Hours of Sebring. Thirty-nine drivers from the USA have won, more than any other country.

Audi has won Sebring eight consecutive years.

In 2009, the 57th Annual Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring presented By Fresh From Florida received 170,800 spectators.

Steve McQueen, James Brolin, Gene Hackman, Craig T. Nelson, Paul Newman and Patrick Dempsey are among the many entertainers who have driven at Sebring.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I was going... but I don't even think I'll get to watch it on Speed Channel :frown:
Yea. It's kinda neat that the Speed Channel broadcasts the entire event that day. I usually leave the track between 5-7pm to get home and watch the finish on SC.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was the best year for me at Sebring. Not because of the field but because I was offered 1st class treatment. A friend has a friend who is 1 of the sponsors of the event and owns a private suite at Sebring. We were all over the place. The owner of the suite even had a hotel room at the Four Points by Sheraton Sebring, Château Élanthe, Sebring raceway hotel on turn 7 with a balcony. It was amazing.......this years master of ceremonies, Derek Bell, was in the suite hanging out for several hours along with many other team drivers. Miss Sebring came around and the Patron Girls were a nice addition as well. Had access to everywhere except for the pits......I didn't have a fire suit. Stayed in the Mobil1 suite on and off throughout the day talking with all kinds of racing notables. Funny story.......On our way up to the room in the hotel we boarded the elevator for the ride up. There was 1 individual in the elevator, an older gentleman holding a black binder. We exchanged pleasantries and were talking about the race. I looked down and noticed on the cover of the binder was a picture of what look to be an amazing car. Not a race car but the likes that made you think of high end sports cars. I said to the guy, that looks really nice. He looked down and said......Oh, crap, you are not supposed to see that. You are supposed to see this, as he turned the binder around to reveal the black back cover. Oh, well, said our farewells and off we went. I didn't realize it at the time but when we were in the Hall of Fame, I realized that e were in the elevator with Dr. Don Panoz. Pretty cool and awesome vehicle that I presume they will be coming out with. Here are a couple of crappy photos from my cell phone:

Miss Sebring & The Patron girls in the suite...notice the TV monitors, 1 for every turn.

Balcony at turn 7

In suite looking at Start/Finish

Pit lane below

Pit stop.......driver change, tires and fuel

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derek Bell was hanging out at turn 3 on Friday. What a stand up, genuinely nice chap he was. Got his sig on my hat. Looks like you had an A+ experience right there.
Totally agree about Derek Bell and the experience was stellar. We had to leave before night fall and the end of the race or we would have been treated to a helicopter ride around the track at night by the owner (really nice, generous guy) of the suite. We were invited back next year with a hotel room and the complete 4 day stay so that we could do everything Sebring has to offer to that elite crowd!!! I'm looking forward to next year to say the least. I'll bring better camera equiptment :biggrin:, well maybe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts