Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5X AT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading that may be some Forester models will engage 50-50 power split between front and rear when transmission shifter set in position 1 or 2 at low speed reasonable for deep mud?

Otherwise my plan is to splice wires for the diff lock circuit before this weekend.
Is there any reason I need to reconsider this mod?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
I was reading that may be some Forester models will engage 50-50 power split between front and rear when transmission shifter set in position 1 or 2 at low speed reasonable for deep mud?

Otherwise my plan is to splice wires for the diff lock circuit before this weekend.
Is there any reason I need to reconsider this mod?
I think all 4EAT Foresters will do that in 1st and 2nd gear, so forced lock-up is only needed in 3rd or 4th (that is, you if think it's needed for 45+mph).

Downsides include bad low-speed turning and possible eventual frying of the center "diff" clutch pack - so make sure you that you install a switch and only engage it when necessary (I can think of only one situation - high speed driving in low friction conditions, such as a snow-covered mountain highway or a rural gravel road).

·
Registered
2005 2.5X AT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think all 4EAT Foresters will do that in 1st and 2nd gear, so forced lock-up is only needed in 3rd or 4th (that is, you if think it's needed for 45+mph).
I'm new to AWD and Forester in particular so here is question assuming that transmission Selector lever in the position D.
If I'm reading right - 4EAT Forester will have 50-50 power split when transmission in 1 and 2 gear?
Than I should have my tires skip on sharp turns driving in 1 or 2?

What I'd like to verify that 50-50 front to back split is in place when lever in 2 or 1 position at speed less than 29mph?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
I'm new to AWD and Forester in particular so here is question assuming that transmission Selector lever in D.
If I'm reading right - 4EAT Forester will have 50-50 power split when transmission in 1 and 2 gear?
Than I should have my tires skip on sharp turns driving in 1 or 2?

What I'd like to verify that 50-50 front to back split is in place when lever in 2 or 1 position at speed less than 29mph?
That is correct. Not too sure about tires skipping though as the center clutch pack is not that strong (i.e., on dry pavement it will slip way before the tires do).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts