Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
Ah - so then you'd be going with one of those potentially less-than-honest providers... And the same caveat still applies - while your local dealer that sells said warranty may accept them and bill to them rather than you paying, what happens when you're on a trip someplace and pop goes the Subaru? What then? In most cases, it's about as good as not having a warranty at all.

I still say to our original poster (and anybody else looking to buy a used vehicle) - start up a bank account and fill it with 20-bucks a week (or a paycheck or whatever) and leave it there to grow and only use it for car emergencies. Or have a credit card with a big limit (if you can) and - same thing - use that for car repairs/emergencies.

Some of these warranty companies that will cover your '"out of warranty" vehicle are not always a good option and you may be better off putting that cost (it's not a free warranty) into the bank.

Another downside - from Auto-Guard's own site -

Important Note: Our customers commonly refer to this type of coverage as an auto warranty, extended auto warranties, extended car warranty, car repair insurance, or even mechanical breakdown insurance, but they are technically neither warranties nor insurance. They are Extended Service Plans or Vehicle Service Contracts under which an Administrator pays for your covered repairs. Auto Guard is an authorized agent for the administrators listed on this site. Auto Guard is not affiliated or associated with any vehicle manufacturer.

And then there's this -

We take your privacy seriously. By clicking "GET QUOTE", you agree to share your information with this site and for them to contact you (including through automated means; e.g. autodialing, predictive dialing, text and pre-recorded messaging) via telephone, mobile device (including SMS and MMS) and/or email, even if your telephone number is currently listed on any state, federal or corporate Do Not Call list. You agree that this consent is not a condition of purchase and that this quote places you under no obligation. We are not affiliated with any vehicle manufacturer. We offer third party extended service plans to consumers
In some states, these types of coverages are not available due to consumer protection laws. For example, in California -
Only a car dealer with a car dealer’s license from the California DMV may legally sell you a VSC issued by a VSCP. Some VSCPs ignore this law and sell VSCs to consumers over the Internet, rather than through car dealers. Companies that sell VSCs in California over the Internet are committing a felony. You should never buy a VSC over the Internet.

VSC = Vehicle Service Contract
VSCP = Vehicle Service Contract Provider

So all of those commercials you see on TV about buying this or that "coverage plan" are not legal in some states.

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Premium XV CVT
39 Posts
Ah - so then you'd be going with one of those potentially less-than-honest providers... And the same caveat still applies - while your local dealer that sells said warranty may accept them and bill to them rather than you paying, what happens when you're on a trip someplace and pop goes the Subaru? What then? In most cases, it's about as good as not having a warranty at all.

I still say to our original poster (and anybody else looking to buy a used vehicle) - start up a bank account and fill it with 20-bucks a week (or a paycheck or whatever) and leave it there to grow and only use it for car emergencies. Or have a credit card with a big limit (if you can) and - same thing - use that for car repairs/emergencies.

Some of these warranty companies that will cover your '"out of warranty" vehicle are not always a good option and you may be better off putting that cost (it's not a free warranty) into the bank.

Important Note: Our customers commonly refer to this type of coverage as an auto warranty, extended auto warranties, extended car warranty, car repair insurance, or even mechanical breakdown insurance, but they are technically neither warranties nor insurance. They are Extended Service Plans or Vehicle Service Contracts under which an Administrator pays for your covered repairs. Auto Guard is an authorized agent for the administrators listed on this site. Auto Guard is not affiliated or associated with any vehicle manufacturer.

And then there's this -

We take your privacy seriously. By clicking "GET QUOTE", you agree to share your information with this site and for them to contact you (including through automated means; e.g. autodialing, predictive dialing, text and pre-recorded messaging) via telephone, mobile device (including SMS and MMS) and/or email, even if your telephone number is currently listed on any state, federal or corporate Do Not Call list. You agree that this consent is not a condition of purchase and that this quote places you under no obligation. We are not affiliated with any vehicle manufacturer. We offer third party extended service plans to consumers
In some states, these types of coverages are not available due to consumer protection laws. For example, in California -
Only a car dealer with a car dealer’s license from the California DMV may legally sell you a VSC issued by a VSCP. Some VSCPs ignore this law and sell VSCs to consumers over the Internet, rather than through car dealers. Companies that sell VSCs in California over the Internet are committing a felony. You should never buy a VSC over the Internet.

So all of those commercials you see on TV about buying this or that "coverage plan" are not legal in some states.

And then there's this -

A wise man once said:
"When it comes to extended warranties, it's often best to view them more like an insurance policy... something you buy, hoping you'll never need it but glad that it's there when you do need it. When I'd purchased my 2014 Forester 7 1/2 years ago (Aug 2013), I got the top line warranty they had that year and never regretted the purchase. Why? Well, I DID use it for some repairs over the years and it IS beneficial to not have to shell out an extra 300, 500, 800, 1800 bucks when something does go wrong. It also included road side assistance and towing and (I think) trip reimbursement coverages."

As noted, towing is typically covered under such contracts plus those of us with AAA have additional towing coverage, so towing is really not a problem. Too bad Subaru doesn't provide extended coverage after expiration of their Gold Plan, leaving Subaru dealers and owners, who want coverage, to look elsewhere.

There is a case to be made for and against extended warranties. My reply was simply a good faith response to another poster who specifically asked me the name of the carrier that my Subaru dealer had vetted and chosen.

Given Consumer Reports is now apparently specifically endorsing the purchase of extended warranty coverage, this information might be useful to some Subaru owners, perhaps other than yourself. If you are interested in learning more about Consumer Reports latest thinking, you might read the June 2021 Issue article entitled:
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM PRICEY REPAIRS, and refer to the Section titled: BUY IT WITH A WARRANTY which describes where they suggest extended warranties make sense (p. 58).

Keeping an open mind on extended warranties is more important today than ever before with all the proprietary electronics that only Subaru dealers are going to be equipped to handle. But ultimately its a personal decision. A few thoughts for consideration!

·
Registered
2015 Forester
172 Posts
Be careful about CR ratings and read the details. Years ago (probably 30ish), I looked at some reviews they did. They had a domestic (US) car rated pretty low (1 or 2) because it had many warranty visits and an import rated very high (4 or 5) because it had very few visits. The only problem in my view was the domestic visits were for rattles, squeaks and some other convenience items which would be annoying. The import was for sudden transmission failure. I don't know if they have implemented any sort of impact severity allowance, but which would you rather have?
My '15 I have had few issues with. The rear bearings did go out (there is a TSB, but they won't cover unless you have a warrantee). I have had to add oil between changes a couple of times. Not too bad for 93+k. The first was when it was fairly new, then one other time on a long trip. Other long trips have not had the issue. I always keep a spare quart in back just in case.
There is a recall on rear springs. They won't cover the shocks (which I would think should mostly be replaced at this age and average miles) and my dealer wanted to charge extra labor to change them as well as a high price for the shocks.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
22 Posts
Currently have a 2014 Limited with a blown motor around 268k miles (was hoping for 300-LOL). Did have the oil consumption issue and was out of the recall mileage to get any love. Looking to put another motor in (leaning refurbished) and let it roll for one of the kids to use or maybe off-road build. Have done too many repairs (new tires, control arms, a/c, etc) to just junk it and looking at the prices of related years it's for sure cheaper to just put a motor in it given the vehicles condition. Also bought a 2021 Forester Touring in the meantime.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts