Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
Uh - no. The head gasket issue was pretty much over and done with by 2013... and there are many CVTs out there with lots of miles on them and not a single repair.

The days of Honda and Toyota being the kings of trouble free miles are and have been over for many models for quite some time now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking to become a first time Subaru owner via purchasing a 2014 Forester. My bottom line question is: can I get 200k miles out of this car through regular maintenance? Buying and selling cars every five years isn't an option for me and making my dollar stretch through investing in a reliable vehicle is key.
Is there a 200k club thread on those forum for this generation of Foresters?
o

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
As the saying goes, there are only two guarantees in life. The good news is that if you have enough coin anything is possible, just a matter of logistics. Will the Forester in question make it to 200K? Probably. If you are willing to make the necessary repairs to get it there. It's a big ask for any vehicle of any make or vintage to make it to the 200K club. Will it require anything beyond regular maintenance? Maybe not. Subaru has the reputation for a reason. If you like the car, roll the dice.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
132 Posts
My 14 went 166k before I traded it in. Had a valve body replaced at 59k and again at 163k before it was apparent that it likely was a faulty torque converter. I did cvt fluid changes around every 45k. I got into a new 2021 Forester instead of fixing it.

A few wheel bearings and broken CV axles. Engine consumed some oil but it was never an issue.
According the factory instructions:
CVT transmission oil- Forester, Impreza, Crosstrek
Replace only under severe driving or towing conditions.
or
Under severe driving replace the automatic transmission fluid at 15,000 miles.
CVT oil should be replaced under severe driving at 24,855 miles

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
132 Posts
Consumer Reports is showing actual data from hundreds of thousands of cars reported on directly by their members every year. Frequency-of-repair data for a 2014 Forester is from the actual 2014 Foresters owned by actual people, compared to other 2014 cars owned by other actual people.

The business about “predictive” reliability judgements applies when CR feels they have enough data about a newly-introduced model to say how reliable it might be, because, say, it’s largely unchanged from previous years that they do have hard data on.

What’s interesting about their data on older cars is that many of them will be individual cars that members have been reporting on since they were new, like I’ve been filling out the questionnaire on my 2015 Forester since we bought it in 2014. So if I have a major repair, it will contribute directly to the data pool on the 2015 Forester, and thus the trends on older cars can tell a very useful story.
The "Consumer Reports" isn't any reliable source in the way they query their subscribers, it doesn't matter who they are. In generally, it is a big joke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking to become a first time Subaru owner via purchasing a 2014 Forester. My bottom line question is: can I get 200k miles out of this car through regular maintenance? Buying and selling cars every five years isn't an option for me and making my dollar stretch through investing in a reliable vehicle is key.
Be Careful. the 14 AND 15 MODELS HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY TO COVER CVT TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS.BE SURE YOU ARE COVERED.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was not the Forester's best year. Consumer Reports' reliability rating for the 2014 is far behind the Mazda CX-5 (5/5), the Toyota RAV-4 (4/5), and even the Chevy Equinox (3/5). Overall, for 2014 models, the Forester rates "below average (2/5)," with engine, climate control, and suspension issues being the worst (1/5).

Of course, as many will say, with a 6-7 year old car, the individual car is as important, if not moreso, than the statistics. But statistically (and as usual) when it comes to reliability over many years, Toyotas do seem to stack the odds in your favor. Also, since its introduction in 2013, the Mazda CX-5 has amassed an enviable record, with every model year still scoring "better than" or "much better than" average (4/5, 5/5), even the oldest.

The Forester has been less consistent, with scores ranging from 2/5 to 5/5 depending on the year. Worst: '13, '14, '17. Best: '18, '20. If there's a pattern, it's one of the Forester aging somewhat less well than its competitors. For 2009-2013, all years are uniformly "much worse than average" (1/5).
I wonder if you can embed a link to one of those consumer reports please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just checked CR and the 2011-2013's actually scored a little higher from what I see. According CR's reliability history, the 2009-2010 is (1/5) but the 2011-2013 is (2/5). Still sub-par though. Those low scores don't surprise me with lingering HG issues in the early SH years and excessive oil consumption in the later SH years. That being said my 240k+ mile 2010 has been relatively reliable and even has the factory HG's with no evidence of leaking. But I probably pay more attention to preventative maintenance than the average owner who completes CR's questionnaires.

Is CR perfect? No. Is there a better source of automobile reliability, both historic and predicted? No.
I have a 2010 and afraid to trade it because this one is great with 105K and looks and runs great .I think it's better looking than 2021.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My main concern would be the CVT. That is the component that has the most unpredictable working life. Some don't even make it to 100,000 and the odd one or two make it to 200,000. Maybe try to ask other 2014 owners how their CVT's are going. I haven't been able to find much information that instills confidence in the CVT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having purchased a 2014 XT about 2.5 years ago with ~40,000 miles, I kicked myself for not grabbing a 2015. The 2015 has blind spot monitoring available and, for me, would have kept safety features the same between family cars. On my XT in particular, the repairs and service have been garbage. It must have been beat in its former life. It's now on its 3rd ECM after a pulley went bad - twice (once at 25,000 and again at 50,000), new CVT, and always seems to smell slightly like gasoline inside when not moving (traffic). I love driving it and mileage is surprisingly good - but I may dump it this year due to what seems to be recurring engine issues.

This brings me to my final two points:
  • Consider purchasing a 3rd party warranty. I always have with my used turbo Subarus and have always gotten more than my money's worth.
  • Always get a pre-purchase inspection from a shop familiar with Subarus and, if buying from a dealer, ask their service department to give you the full history on the car (if serviced there).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good luck! If it has has the FB25 engine (2.5 non turbo). They have exhaust valve issues as well as ring issues with the pistons. My wife has a 2013 forester (this is the first year of the timing chain) and it was GREAT until she got to about 145,000 miles then it was straight down hill from there. Need less to say I ended up replacing the engine along with ALOT of other things the 2016 FB25 boxer engines seem to be much hardier than the previous three years models once you cat plugs up prepare yourself that is when it begins! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
132 Posts
My main concern would be the CVT. That is the component that has the most unpredictable working life. Some don't even make it to 100,000 and the odd one or two make it to 200,000. Maybe try to ask other 2014 owners how their CVT's are going. I haven't been able to find much information that instills confidence in the CVT.

Are u planning to cross the Great Victoria Desert? .... :)

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium 2.5
32 Posts
That was not the Forester's best year. Consumer Reports' reliability rating for the 2014 is far behind the Mazda CX-5 (5/5), the Toyota RAV-4 (4/5), and even the Chevy Equinox (3/5). Overall, for 2014 models, the Forester rates "below average (2/5)," with engine, climate control, and suspension issues being the worst (1/5).

Of course, as many will say, with a 6-7 year old car, the individual car is as important, if not moreso, than the statistics. But statistically (and as usual) when it comes to reliability over many years, Toyotas do seem to stack the odds in your favor. Also, since its introduction in 2013, the Mazda CX-5 has amassed an enviable record, with every model year still scoring "better than" or "much better than" average (4/5, 5/5), even the oldest.

The Forester has been less consistent, with scores ranging from 2/5 to 5/5 depending on the year. Worst: '13, '14, '17. Best: '18, '20. If there's a pattern, it's one of the Forester aging somewhat less well than its competitors. For 2009-2013, all years are uniformly "much worse than average" (1/5).
Having been a Consumer Reports fan for many years, and a Subaru owner since 1993, I must say you have to be careful with the consumer report ratings. We have two Forester’s In the family currently, a 2015 and a 2016. They are nearly identical, and also similar to the 2014. Both had the recall completed for the rear springs. Therefore, both would show as having problems with “suspension“ on the Consumer Reports grid. You see, Subaru has a tendency not to hide issues, And do recalls when the problems pop up on just a few vehicles. Such was also the case in my 2015 Outback for the starter relay’s. Very few vehicles had failures, but now all vehicles will show this electrical issue for the recall. Just something to be aware of as you are comparing manufacturers.
Those Forrester’s are still under 100,000 miles, but have been exceptionally reliable. I would recommend a transmission fluid drain/fill at least everyone 100K, to help insure CVT longevity. Being the “mechanic“ of the family/extended family, I hear about most of the issues across many brands. Subaru would be at the top of the list by a wide margin for high mileage reliability and lowest cost of repair. Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium 2.5
32 Posts
I have a 2010 and afraid to trade it because this one is great with 105K and looks and runs great .I think it's better looking than 2021.
Good GOLLY!! Keep it!! You get the best value out of the vehicle after 100 K miles. Keep it well-maintained and you should have little trouble. Being on our sixth Subaru, I can honestly say that I enjoy that more after they get a little age on them, and I can do things with them without worrying about a little scratch! Enjoy!

·
2009 2.5L MT
13 Posts
320,000 club so far 😎✔

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a very well maintained 2014 base model Forester used last year. 90k miles, documented service and absolutely spotless.

All we've done is get new tires this year. Love this car and at almost 30mpg we sure like that.

Good advice from others here....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my Manual '14 Subaru with 98,000 miles. I am not at 114,000 and have put some work into it. I have replaced front and rear brakes, done a transmission flush, replaced front lower control arms, front sway links, sway link bushings, oil pressure switch, both oil valve timing control solenoids, have changed oil every 3,000 with a treatment of BG MOA, BG EPR & BG 44K treatments, replaced clutch, replaced o rings on AC + Freon refill, replaced timing belt, replaced top and bottom radiator hoses and coolant, added car place double din stereo, amp, speakers and sub, clay bar the car, wax and full interior detailing ...and I think that is it. Next on the list are spark plugs and soon enough, head gasket replacement (although still no leaking) as is the common thing I hear about.

I knew I was going to put some work into it, but such is the case with a vehicle with close to 100K. With the work I put into it, I expect to get at least 100K of my own out of it. I pray and hope this is the case, but thus far, if you ask me.... has it been worth it...the answer is yes. I like working on my cars. This is my first Subaru and I like it very much.

So to answer your question. Can you get 200k out of it? I believe so, with regular maintenance, TLC and sticking to OEM parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Forester had a major problem at 132000 miles. The CVT gave out and the required replacement by a Subaru dealer was $8000+. It had been regularly serviced by Subaru dealers. Subaru America gave $2000 toward the purchase of a new Subaru. The transmission warranty had been extended to 100000 miles, but it was beyond that limit. Oil consumption was about a quart per 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
My previous coworker had a 2013 Forester and put nearly 300K in 2019. I have a 2015, and only 72K and between the both of us we each had to replace the control arms. All within warranty. And that is all the major maintenance needed so far. We both take care of our preventive maintenance as scheduled, and had recalls taken care of in a timely manner.

So far this is the best maintenance free car that I have ever owned.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts