Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Recently traded in my 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium for a 2019 Forester Sport. The 4R was a phenomenal vehicle, but lacked A TON of technology and got half the mileage as this new Forester. I also had to be honest with myself and admit that 99% of my driving is on the road, with the exception of a few weekends a year being in Northern Wisconsin on National Forest roads in search of dispersed camping spots.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty impressed by the Forester thus far. I have plans to do a lift and get some A/T tires, blacking out the orange as much as possible and I'm sure some other upgrades as I go along. I did some modest upgrades to the 4R and it looked pretty mean....hoping to do the same with the Forester.

I've already done a decent amount of blacking things out and I'll post pics in my next post. For now, here's the 4R I traded in and the Forester I took home. Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Convenience / EyeSight CVT
43 Posts
You'll see the advantage of those orange accent stripes when you park at Costco or mall lots. The orange stripe is your personal locator in a sea of white SUV's.
I have the pearl white Forester and just had orange accents applied for this reason.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before and after of the orange accent interior.

I pulled out the vent housings and painted them gloss black. I removed the entire center/gear shift console and found the gear shift indicator and surrounding orange accent piece is actually one piece of molded plastic. Lots of tight edges and rounded corners, so instead of taping and painting I just purchased a silver cover from Amazon and it actually fits pretty well. I think the silver is nice against the black.

I’m a fan of the orange stitching throughout, the in your face orange pieces were just too much for me.

Thoughts? PS, almost to 1k miles and I’m loving the Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll see the advantage of those orange accent stripes when you park at Costco or mall lots. The orange stripe is your personal locator in a sea of white SUV's.
I have the pearl white Forester and just had orange accents applied for this reason.
The orange definitely helps it stick out. I blacked out all the rocker panel orange yesterday, but have left the roof rail orange accents for now. I’ll post some pictures later.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
137 Posts
Do you have a link to the silver center console cover that you purchased through Amazon?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven’t done any off roading since getting the Forester, so I can’t compare the two from experience. The 4Runner was a tank and I had zero doubts going anywhere with it. After driving the Forester for several months I can’t say the confidence is as great as the 4Runner, but I think with a lift and all terrains it could hold its own on most forest roads/trails as long as your obstacles aren’t huge.

How do you like your lift? Definitely something I want to do if I hang onto the Forester for a while....waiting to see what Toyota does with a potential new 4Runner generation.

Have you found that the Forester performs as well / close to as well as the TRD 4Runner?

I have a '19 Sport model with 2" lift, BFG TKO tires and it looks pretty good. Love the tint on yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven’t done any off roading since getting the Forester, so I can’t compare the two from experience. The 4Runner was a tank and I had zero doubts going anywhere with it. After driving the Forester for several months I can’t say the confidence is as great as the 4Runner, but I think with a lift and all terrains it could hold its own on most forest roads/trails as long as your obstacles aren’t huge.

How do you like your lift? Definitely something I want to do if I hang onto the Forester for a while....waiting to see what Toyota does with a potential new 4Runner generation.

Good point. I love my lift. 2" with BFG tires. I will send over some photos with my lift / tires / bull bar combo. looks pretty mean.

I took my Subie to Big Bend National Park about a month ago; we took her off road quite a bit and I never had any issues. The only thing I can think of is having problems with boulders / big obstacles like you mentioned, although I can't envision a time/place where I will have to drive through stuff like that anyways.

there is a particular video of the forester sport driving thru deep snow which is quite impressive; I can send this over too. this is a forester sport with no lift; no upgraded tires either.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good, I’d like to see how it looks lifted and with the tires. How was being off road with the CVT? That’s my biggest concern vs the 4Runner since it had the 5 speed trans and a ton more torque.

Good point. I love my lift. 2" with BFG tires. I will send over some photos with my lift / tires / bull bar combo. looks pretty mean.

I took my Subie to Big Bend National Park about a month ago; we took her off road quite a bit and I never had any issues. The only thing I can think of is having problems with boulders / big obstacles like you mentioned, although I can't envision a time/place where I will have to drive through stuff like that anyways.

there is a particular video of the forester sport driving thru deep snow which is quite impressive; I can send this over too. this is a forester sport with no lift; no upgraded tires either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
See below:

I have a 2" lift, BF Goodrich TKO-2 tires + a custom fit Vanguard Bull-bar + KC lights.

I'm hoping to have my front windows tinted like yours to match the back.

Re: driving off-road... I seriously experienced ZERO problems. Car handled very well, and we had a few spots where the road got a little hairy... I was glad to have the lift + mud tires for that one. I also use my Subie to pull my 16' scout fishing boat (pictured as well) and never have had any issues with towing / pulling up the steep boat ramps. Impressed.

Link to X-Mode performing:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking of plastidipping the orange trim on the outside. Is the benefit of the auto trim paint that it's paint and wont peel off? I would love to do this without removing the pieces. Looks like that's what you did.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See below:

I have a 2" lift, BF Goodrich TKO-2 tires + a custom fit Vanguard Bull-bar + KC lights.

I'm hoping to have my front windows tinted like yours to match the back.

Re: driving off-road... I seriously experienced ZERO problems. Car handled very well, and we had a few spots where the road got a little hairy... I was glad to have the lift + mud tires for that one. I also use my Subie to pull my 16' scout fishing boat (pictured as well) and never have had any issues with towing / pulling up the steep boat ramps. Impressed.

Link to X-Mode performing:
Yours looks awesome. I’m definitely
Hoping to do a lift around when I get new tires. Plan to drive the stock ones up and then replace them, instead of taking them off with only a few thousand miles.

Tint is a must in my opinion. It totally changes the look of the car in a positive manner.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking of plastidipping the orange trim on the outside. Is the benefit of the auto trim paint that it's paint and wont peel off? I would love to do this without removing the pieces. Looks like that's what you did.
Either would work. I’ve found I like the finish of the auto trine better than the plasti dip, as I used both on various parts of the 4Runner I had. I think the auto trim paint blends with the surrounding stock black plastics in this case. I’m a fan of how it turned out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts