Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the manual outlines the best rpms or mphs to shift at, but I always shift at 4000 rpms because it's alot smoother and i love the sound of the boxer growling :twisted:. Is this bad for the engine or will it damage it?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I may have looked at the manual for break-in procedures but after that I don't think it has much to offer that matters as far as driving styles.

Are you still breaking it in? If not why do you think the tach has the redline up at 6500RPMs?

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
The higher you rev it, the harder you run it, the shorter the motor life. Will taking it to 4k every time versus 2.5-3.5K make a difference, I wouldn't think so. It would probably depend as much on the load it is under - i.e., hard accelearation causes more wear than slower.

Bottom line - shift it at 4K - its only hurting your gas mileage :wink:

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
I was wondering if you thought 4k was high or low revs to be shifting!

Of cause reving higher will be harder on the car, but is it going to be significant? So instead of the engine lasting 200,000 miles it might be worn after 150,000 miles instead. Heck if you keep it that long just get it reconditioned.

If the gear changes are done smoothly and you have let the engine warm up a bit before you start reving it hard, it shouldnt make a huge difference.
The biggest difference will be to fuel use and the smile on your face. Id say work out the balance of those two factors and dont worry about the rest.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I couldnt even count how many times i redline each day. Do i fear that my engine life is going to be shortened....no
I just make sure before i start revving up that high the engine is warmed up

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, it's a 05 XT and I'm at 22,000 miles already (and Ive only had it for 6 months)! Glad to hear other people drive like I do. Good to know it's not gonna cause my engine to explode, guess I'll continue to pay a little more for gas because it def makes me smile :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts