Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know already, I want to be able to run 12's. I can see that this question has been asked a few times but each situation is a little bit different.

I have a different viewpoint. I want to run 12's whether or not E85 comes to my area, whether or not I decide to get meth injection, and don't want to be dissapointed that I swapped my TD04 out when someone cracks the 4EAT TCU. I genuinely do believe that someone is going to crack it sooner or later.

To put it another way, I want a turbo that will benefit largely from a TCU crack once it does come out. Again I believe that will happen sooner or later.

Would any turbo benefit from that? I would imagine that the smaller turbos will benefit from that a bit more.

I don't want to wait around for that to happen to run 12's, but at the same time I don't want to find out that the TD04 would have been able to run 12's if I was patient and held my breath.

I like the VF39 since there is a Access port Ready tune available for it as a starting point. I REALLY like that although others may scoff at the idea. I suppose that will be less important to me over time, but for right NOW since I have little experience with tuning I think it is wonderful.

With all that said and based upon my present modifications found here:

Motortopia: 2004 Subaru Forester XT (Scooby) Owned By 2004xt_auto

Could you please suggest a turbo update that will run great on pump gas and allow me to run 12's? When I say 12's, I mean a 12.99...but I do mean a 12.99 with an average driver.

Any thoughts? I know that I will have to support the turbo with appropriate items like fuel pump, injectors, STI TMIC and bigger scoop etc. I am willing to do this if I decided to go this route.

Thank you!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
i wouldnt hold your breath about a crack... id go 16g or larger, not every1 w/ a vfXX series turbo hits 12s, let alone low 13s. of course youll need supporting mods... i m ean you may be able to do it w/ the VF, it has been done, but it will be a very aggressive tune/driving.

tmic
dp
injectors
fp
pro tune(most important part)

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt hold your breath about a crack... id go 16g or larger, not every1 w/ a vfXX series turbo hits 12s, let alone low 13s. of course youll need supporting mods... i m ean you may be able to do it w/ the VF, it has been done, but it will be a very aggressive tune/driving.

tmic
dp
injectors
fp
pro tune(most important part)
Good post thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
fourto hit right.

A VF might get you there with supporting mods. But it might not. If you had a manual 4.444, I would say that a VF and a handful of supporting mods would do it easy.

With an auto, big 16 or an evo 16 at a minimum. I've been eyeballing the atp 35R myself....

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
after reading this tidbit from that link you posted im not too sure any of this advice is worth anything.

"I wanted the Auto for dragstrip consistency although it may never touch a dragstrip."

so if it will never see a drag strip whats w/ the 5 threads asking the same thing :mob: HAHA!

btw foos i love those new atp turbos w/ the ewg housings. id like to snatch up a 3076 but my tranny wouldnt like me!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after reading this tidbit from that link you posted im not too sure any of this advice is worth anything.

"I wanted the Auto for dragstrip consistency although it may never touch a dragstrip."

so if it will never see a drag strip whats w/ the 5 threads asking the same thing :mob: HAHA!

btw foos i love those new atp turbos w/ the ewg housings. id like to snatch up a 3076 but my tranny wouldnt like me!
Oh shut it...may, may not. :biggrin: Wonder which way I am headed!

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I wouldn't base my turbo choice on available maps from cobb. No matter what turbo you chose, a protune on your accessport (or open source) from a good tuner will be one of the most beneficial mods. The off the shelf cobb maps are kind of garbage imo.

I think a vf39 would be a good starting point. Go right to a 18g if you're going to be taking it to the strip, however I feel its a bit big for a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't base my turbo choice on available maps from cobb. No matter what turbo you chose, a protune on your accessport (or open source) from a good tuner will be one of the most beneficial mods. The off the shelf cobb maps are kind of garbage imo.

I think a vf39 would be a good starting point. Go right to a 18g if you're going to be taking it to the strip, however I feel its a bit big for a daily driver.
You are right about the tune. I just like the idea of being lazy for a little while with the Cobb Tune and the VF39....but if 12's with the vf39 are going to be a pain then why bother!

Now which of these turbos bolt on with no hassle? I thought I read a thread on that somewhere.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I really doubt you will make it into the 12's with a vf turbo. I did it, and we have 8-10 slips for 12.91-12.97 passes. But the 07+ have a better transmisson will makes the launch hard and the 60' times something that no manual will duplicate. 1.6's on a stock trans and stock tires all day.

As the others have suggested, go with a bigger turbo, and hope the trans holds. Your launch will be weaker, but your big end power will help.

We have about 60 or more passes in out forester, from bone stock to stage 2, to vf48+mods/protuned. Feel free to ask any questions as I have a solid understanding on what the 4eat will do.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
A couple of points to ponder in regards to my experience with an 07 FXT with 4EAT....

1. I went from stock to VF48/STi TMIC/PnP exhaust manifolds/MadDad bellmouth DP/Maddad 3-inch Whisper cat-back/protune in one leap. You can see my tune results here. I would like to brag that I have a 12-second FXT too, but with the way the car now runs, I don't think it matters.

2. The VF48 was pretty much a drop-in. I bought mine new because I need it to last a while.

3. Don't bother with OTS maps. If you're going to spend the time and $$ on these kinds of mods, budget a tune as well. As others have said, it's the tune that really makes it all work together.

4. Don't ignore day-to-day driveabilty for the sake of a 1/4 mile ET goal. How many miles will you put on the car at the drag strip?

5. My car was tuned for torque. I can be doing 65 MPH, gently press the go-pedal without ever downshifting and hit 90 so fast it's scary. There's something about picking up speed in a hurry without the drama of downshifting/high RPMs that makes torque such a fun thing to have (and the guys in the Hondas are like "***?").

6. I never "launch" my car. I get to a slow roll and then roll my foot into the gas. Everything happens pretty quickly (and dramatically) from that point on.

I now truly enjoy my car, and it's more than fast enough for street driving. Good luck with your mods!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
I'm expected the turbo in the FXT to fail in the next year or so. I was thinking about putting a ATP35R on it. But now blouch has come out with its own line with 10 cm housings on it. I'm going to have to see how that goes...

Either way, to the OP, do some soul searching and figure out what your goals are. Once you do, picking the turbo gets much easier...

If you want the best of both worlds, check out Blouch's new .5XT turbo. Its a 2860RS based ball bearing turbo with a 10 cm housing. I bet spool like TD04 with the top end of a 16g. I don't know if I would pay twice as much for it as a 16g is, but it looks pretty sweet none-the-less.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
A couple of points to ponder in regards to my experience with an 07 FXT with 4EAT....

1. I went from stock to VF48/STi TMIC/PnP exhaust manifolds/MadDad bellmouth DP/Maddad 3-inch Whisper cat-back/protune in one leap. You can see my tune results here. I would like to brag that I have a 12-second FXT too, but with the way the car now runs, I don't think it matters.

2. The VF48 was pretty much a drop-in. I bought mine new because I need it to last a while.

3. Don't bother with OTS maps. If you're going to spend the time and $$ on these kinds of mods, budget a tune as well. As others have said, it's the tune that really makes it all work together.

4. Don't ignore day-to-day driveabilty for the sake of a 1/4 mile ET goal. How many miles will you put on the car at the drag strip?

5. My car was tuned for torque. I can be doing 65 MPH, gently press the go-pedal without ever downshifting and hit 90 so fast it's scary. There's something about picking up speed in a hurry without the drama of downshifting/high RPMs that makes torque such a fun thing to have (and the guys in the Hondas are like "***?").

6. I never "launch" my car. I get to a slow roll and then roll my foot into the gas. Everything happens pretty quickly (and dramatically) from that point on.

I now truly enjoy my car, and it's more than fast enough for street driving. Good luck with your mods!
Jim, did I miss your thread about your trip to the track?

·
Registered
4/07 wrx wagon/fozzy xt manual/auto
308 Posts
if i wanted to swap to anything outside of a vf series, i wouldn't look at anything smaller than a hta68 or an 18g.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Jim, did I miss your thread about your trip to the track?
Brian, you did not! I ended up selling my summer wheels/tires and am now rolling on Nokians until my Tarmac 2s show up next week. I hope to hit the track for a couple of passes in early Nov. before I really have to put the winters back on and leave 'em on.

I'm also going back to EFI Logics Nov. 7 for an alignment and a tune tweak (idle is too high and gas pedal mapped too agressively for my tastes). Now that the weather is cool, I'll see what my numbers are.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
fourto hit right.

A VF might get you there with supporting mods. But it might not. If you had a manual 4.444, I would say that a VF and a handful of supporting mods would do it easy.

With an auto, big 16 or an evo 16 at a minimum. I've been eyeballing the atp 35R myself....
Get one. They are amazing.

For the OP, just get an 18G.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Don't buy a turbo based on ots maps from cobb...especially if you have intentions of making it real quick...you will want a protune to make it efficient. The AP is nice, but that shouldnt be the only reason to consider a vfXX....price is much more attractive with a vf, but will prolly need much more supporting mods to get the times you want.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Get one. They are amazing.

For the OP, just get an 18G.
Well, now that Blouch has come out with their 4.0XT-R, its going to be a tough decision: ATP 35R or Blouch 4.0XT-R. Hum. Either way, its $2k+, so I have a while to think about it...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts