Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I have some problems here and need some help. 2004 FXT AT with vf43 cobb v2 st2 with supporting mods. Its a long story to how i got to those mods but ill try and keep it short. We bought our FXT used with 76000 miles, one month after having the car the turbo blew up along with codes P0011 and P0021. Went to the dealer they did all the work to replace everything. Got the car back and one month later again, the turbo goes out along with code P0021. This time it was personal! I took it upon myself to do all the repairs but in the process upgrade the car as well. I found the TSBs about the filter screens for the AVCS and turbo so I went ahead and removed those from the system during the repair. I know my way around subaru engines having owned a 2004 wrx myself (highly modified). All my repairs went smoothly, they are as follows....VF43, Cobb AP w/ ST2 93 map, catless DP, Invidia UP, larger TMIC, 3inch to 2.5inch at axleback for exhaust. NOW THE PROBLEM, everything is running great except it keeps throwing P0021!!!!!! I have no idea why this is???? Possibly because the screens are removed or what? I have searched and searched and can't figure this thing out. Somebody please help a Fozzy Fan out here!:confused:

·
Registered
2004 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read all the posts I can about those two codes. I'm trying to figure out what I can try and do next without taking it back to the stealer. Anybody got something else for me to personal try?

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
A few people have had their timing belt skip teeth and have these codes come up. Might wanna check that out...

Also be careful if your still running a Stage 2 Map for a VF43, which I think you are if I'm understanding your post correctly. At least switch to the VF39 map that you can get for the 04 XT 4EAT.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few people have had their timing belt skip teeth and have these codes come up. Might wanna check that out...

Also be careful if your still running a Stage 2 Map for a VF43, which I think you are if I'm understanding your post correctly. At least switch to the VF39 map that you can get for the 04 XT 4EAT.
Thanks for the heads up, but is there a map for the 04 XT VF39 4EAT for 93? I know about the one for 91, is that ok to run?

·
Registered
2004 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, how would I check and know if the belt has skipped a tooth?

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
Also, how would I check and know if the belt has skipped a tooth?
Yea, its only a 91 oct map, but you'll be fine running 93. It will actually be tuned a little bit more conservative than a 93oct map. I would still datalog it with the AP just since your running the VF43.

I have no idea about checking the timing belt though. Search on NASIOC.com, theres a bunch of info on the AVCS check engine lights over there..

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
If you're running a stage 2 map with a VF43, there's a huge problem. Since you have the VF43 not the VF39, you need to shell out and get a custom tune, otherwise you're playing with fire.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
If you're running a stage 2 map with a VF43, there's a huge problem. Since you have the VF43 not the VF39, you need to shell out and get a custom tune, otherwise you're playing with fire.
The VF39/43/48 are pretty much all the same. No worries about tune changes between those turbos. But, you are correct that a stg2 map is not sufficient. Big difference between a VF and a TD04...

To check timing, you pull the left and right side timing covers. Not the easiest thing in the world. It would have been nice if Subaru gave us another inch to work with between the motor and radiator. Anyway, there are two timing marks on each cam gear. Rotate the crank (by hand, with a socket wrench) until the marks line up right. If you can never get them lined up right, you skipped timing. I'd have to check the manual to remember how the marks are supposed to be lined up...

·
Registered
2004 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think its figured out now. After extensive research I finally ended up pulling the OCVs out from the side of each head and cleaned the ***** out of them. The OCVs (oil control valves) have something to do with controlling or aiding in the operation of the AVCS. I think the valve on bank #2 was sticking, causing CEL P0021. Instead of just cleaning one side, I decided to do both because it's a fairly simple procedure. After cleaning, re-installing and clearing the code once again, there's been no problems since with plenty of miles driven and numerous cycles. Hope this info will help others if they run into the same problems and can't shake em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts