Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

This is my first post here and I'm glad I've found you.
In the near future I'm planning to buy a Forester 2.5 XT (the new one 2009,2010 ?) and I can't decide what transmission to choose 4EAT or 5M/T
(in our country they sell both versions) .

About 4EAT I'm a little intrigued it has only 4 speeds , are they planning to change it in the near future with at least a 5EAT or something ?

About 5MT a fellow STI owners says that the 5MT is fragile and his option it will be a 4EAT.

Unfortunately the dealer over here has only M/T version for drive test so I don't know how the 4EAT drives .

What will you guys choose ? What are the good and bad about each transmission ?
What will be the difference in wheel horse power or performances comparing both versions ?

Cheers,
Dinu

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
744 Posts
Honestly, this is coming from someone who had a 2004 4EAT, and I'm finalizing a deal to have a 5MT after someone ran into the back of my Forester on an on ramp hard enough to total it.

The 4EAT was ok, but it's quite mundane. It seemed like it always upshifted far too prematurely, and was somewhat slow to downshift etc. I drove my new vehicle yesterday to test it out and LOVED the 5speed in comparison. The only thing I really want to do is buy at least a bushing kit, possibly a short shifter for it since it was a little on the loose side being a vehicle with some mileage on it, but other than that it was quite easy to drive. :)

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
It really depends on what you are going to be doing with the car.

If you are going to be taking it off-road often, I would go with the 4EAT. A few other people on here will also agree that the 4EAT in the Forester is superior off-road than the 5-speed manual. I take my Foz off-road quite often and the 4EAT makes it amazing to deal with in low-traction conditions, whereas the manual, you find yourself burning up the clutch. (unless a low-range manual is offered in your country) I would check up on that.

On road, again, it depends. Gas milage will be roughly the same, acceleration would be a tad quicker with the 5-speed I would imagine, but the 4EAT launches off the line quite a bit easier when you hold down the brakes and give it some boot. Either way you go you are going to have fun and it'll put a smile on your face. I'm afraid I can't make a good judgement between the auto and manual on the 09/10v models because they don't offer the 5-speed in the states anymore for some odd reason.

Good luck with whatever you get, Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
It takes a while to learn to drive a 4 speed / turbo combo effectively, until you learn it will annoy the shiz out of you...

But the low end torque from the turbo definitely helps with the lack of gears, if it was the N/A version, I'd definitely say manual

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
I love the 4eat, after learning it. It is very predictable, easy to tow with, love the autostick and sport function, and think the car does very well with it matched to the turbo motor, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
144 Posts
I had to abstain from the vote.
I prefered the 4EAT this time around, for two sad reasons.

1) Too traffiky in my area, now. Overpopulated with BOTH elderly, and teens.
2) Frankly, I'm getting tired of shifting constantly.

But I'll add to that, one complaint I hear now and again.
Some say that 1st gear isn't low enough on the MT, and requires a lot of slipping the clutch or breaking to a stall, off-road especially.

One thing that annoys me ALOT about the 4EAT:
There is a relatively huge lag shifting from Rev into Drive even from a dead stop.
I have to back out onto a very busy road, and wait an eternity for that shift to take place before I can move out.

That, and it really needs a 5th gear.
Too much spread between 3 and 4.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I can guarantee you that any AT vs MT question here (or on any auto enthusiast board really) will land you with a MT preference.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The 5mt can handle stock power and stock STi level power no problem. It shouldn't be a factor when deciding on the tranny. Go with the one you prefer to drive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts