Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have made the biggest mistake of my life, but I hope not.
I purchased an 06 FXT (4eat) with the intentions of doing a full STi driveline swap.
Primarily because after weeks of searching, I could not find a 5MT Forester anywhere close to home, and I needed a car asap.

I have all of the components for the swap but I forgot to think about one possible hang up and that is the ECU and BIU compatibility.

I currently have an o5 STi 6MT, R180 and all of the suspension items to physically make the swap happen, and I have already done this swap once in a WRX so I know the drill, the problem is that the WRX swap was easy going from a 5MT to a 6MT, it all just plug and played nicely together with a Spiider DCCD.

Can anyone tell me if I am screwed here, or is this doable with an ECU swap or what do I need to consider.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
It's been done, look up ForesterSTi. She swapped her 4EAT to a 6MT with an ECU swap. Keep in mind that you will have to re-key the car for the immobilizer system to work if the ECU is newer than MY04.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is an ECU swap and a rekey for the immobilizer then that is a no brainer and I have both an 06 WRX and 05 STi ECU in my possession, with keys for both so that is handled.
Thank you so much, if anyone else has any other info please let me know.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
There are some different parts between 4eat and 5MT, not sure which you are changing anyway, trans crossmemebr is different, so unless you have one with the 6MT you'll need that.

Have you looked at http://www.opposedforces.com/parts as that should help you spot the 4eat/5mt differences were it counts.

Simon

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some different parts between 4eat and 5MT, not sure which you are changing anyway, trans crossmemebr is different, so unless you have one with the 6MT you'll need that.

Have you looked at http://www.opposedforces.com/parts as that should help you spot the 4eat/5mt differences were it counts.

Simon
Thank you so much Simon,
The link you posted is inop.
I have the trans cross member for the 6MT in hand so that won't be a problem.
The challenge I have is which ECU should I use when I do the swap?
I have an 06 WRX ecu that was in my swapped 06 WRX, and I also have an 05 STi ecu from the wrecked STi I purchased for the swap.

Hopefully this is not uncharted territory with the 06 FXt, but it is certainly new to me, since for the last few years my focus has been on Impreza stuff.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump for some help on this one.

I pm'd ForesterSTi and have not seen a reply from her yet,
Does anyone know how to get a hold of her or her husband so I ask a couple of fairly important questions?
I am really close to doing the swap and I need some ECU advice before I get knee deep.

Or, if anyone knows anyone else that has gone from EAT to MT in an SG/FXT

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Here is the link Simon was trying to post, parts catalog It is basically a beta version of the Subaru parts catalog. PM ZUMBLE he is the resident ECU guru and was one of the founding members of Romraider/tactrix. GLWS:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Dare I guess it's as easy as an ECU swap and using the 6mt trans harness(with no TCM)?

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for the help, links and names!

I just pulled the trigger on a 2006 Forester ECU, key set and imobilizer all from the same manual trans 06 Forester which I found by running a search on car-part.com, I paid $250.00 for all of those parts so I think I am good to go with the ECU parts now.
At least my Foz will think it started life as a manual trans darling (as far as the ECU is concerned).
I'm not too worried about having to swap out the immobilizer module and Ignition key switch etc. At least that way, I dont have to tow the car to a dealership to get the immobilizer re-synched.

I am reasonably certain that I can use the 05 STi pedal box I have from my previous WRX/STi 6mt swap wherein I did not need the pedal assy.
I know (or have been told) that the harness connector for the throttle pedal may be different between 05 and 06 (my foz is an o6) but since the throttle pedal assy can be separated from the clutch/brake pedal assy, I will leave the Foz throttle pedal box in place for now and just use the STi clutch and brake pedal box assy to get past that hurdle.

The only other things I question now are how to deal with reverse lockout, back up light switching and neutral safety switching.
I imagine I am going to have to run some wires.

Anyone else have any more specific info that may help, please let me know.
I intend to document this process and share the info here, so I guess I should what, start a journal?

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
in my 04 we didn't use the tcm but it required a lot of rewiring. i did have the 04 STi swapped in. you'll need a manual forester spec trans cross member. the sti one doesn't fit right. it'll run but clearance becomes an issue.

and the VSS harness was missing from my 6spd trans. getting a hold of one is a pita.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
in my 04 we didn't use the tcm but it required a lot of rewiring. i did have the 04 STi swapped in. you'll need a manual forester spec trans cross member. the sti one doesn't fit right. it'll run but clearance becomes an issue.

and the VSS harness was missing from my 6spd trans. getting a hold of one is a pita.

heysuperman, I just sent you a PM with a few questions.

What is the VSS harness? (vehicle safety switch?)

And you just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up in a really scary way when you mention the Forester manual trans cross member.
Is that for real? I just spent a lot of money on powder coating things, and the STi cross member was one of them.
If I need a Forester (manual) trans cross member, I am screwed until I can find one.
Please let me know asap what your experience with this is.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
heysuperman, I just sent you a PM with a few questions.

What is the VSS harness? (vehicle safety switch?)

And you just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up in a really scary way when you mention the Forester manual trans cross member.
Is that for real? I just spent a lot of money on powder coating things, and the STi cross member was one of them.
If I need a Forester (manual) trans cross member, I am screwed until I can find one.
Please let me know asap what your experience with this is.
Thanks!
vehicle speed sensor harness.

i have clearance issues with my STi crossmember. Slizzan99 did the install and he also has a FXT with 6spd. his FXT was a manual to begin with so he just reused his 5spd man crossmember. I had to order mine from the dealer. cost me almost $240 and that was with a discount.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Did you use the 6 speed brace with the 6speed trans mount? Or the 6speed trans mount with the 5speed brace?

joe r

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
Did you use the 6 speed brace with the 6speed trans mount? Or the 6speed trans mount with the 5speed brace?
joe r
everything i originally bought was for the 6spd so yes i currently have the 6spd brace with the 6spd mount on.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
everything i originally bought was for the 6spd so yes i currently have the 6spd brace with the 6spd mount on.
Ok so now I am totally confused.
In your previous post, you said there were fitment issues using the STi mount (and brace).
I am in a position to purchase a Forester brace (assuming you mean the entire rear trans brace/cross member that looks like an "H" ?).
Can you be a bit more specific with what fitment issues you have/had?

I did read a post by someone who mentioned they ended up needing to fabricate a spacer or shim of some sorts to get the proper drive shaft angle here.

If that is a consistent issue with 6 speed swaps, then I would prefer getting the Forester H brace/cross member so it is a direct bolt in/no-fab required set up.

Please let me know asap so I can order up the Forester specific tranny cross member today.

I am dangerously close to having everything I need to do this.

Also, if anyone has any specific info that would help me with this issue:::
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/cross-member-rack-challenges-need-help-72051/
I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
yes, i was worried about the driveshaft angle and possible rubbing under heavy load or acceleration. i still have the sti crossmember on my foz now. i hear some rubbing noise every now and again, not sure where it is coming from. hope to have the new crossmember pieces installed by wed, and i did ordered all 3 pieces.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts