Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: I posted some of this info here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=3225&page=2

I've been looking for a solution to improve the shifting performance of the auto. I contacted a few companies to inquire about having a module developed for the 4eat and found a company called Powertrain Control Solutions that said their product is compatible with the 4eat (mostly, see below) and that they can provide a wiring harness. I'm particularly interested in the PCS product, because I can mate it to the steering wheel w/shift buttons found on 05+ legacy GT or Outback XT. It also allows adjustability of the shift points, etc.

Here is the product page:
http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html
More detailed info here:
http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/downloads-cat1.html

So, now to the point of this thread. Has anyone any experience with this product or similar? Are there any other potential problems besides throwing a CEL that will be caused by this thing not communicating with the ECU?

Here are email responses from the company from when I inquired about their product (2 separate emails):

"Our controller will already work on the 4EAT transmission. However keep in mind our controller is a standalone system and is not meant to work with the factory ECU. If you plan on keeping the stock ECU the check engine light will most likely be on. We can do the wiring 2 ways: One where it plugs into the where the stock transmission controller is and keeps the stock wiring, the other is a complete wiring harness from the transmission to our controller.

Our controller replaces the transmission ECU but does not communicate with the engine ECU. The engine ECU will not know its there and most likely throw a communications error code. The controller will function the same regardless of the wiring. Replacing the stock transmission ECU is a much easier route if you plan on keeping the stock engine ECU.
You can place your order either by calling us or on our website. Just select universal harness and specify in the notes section what its for if ordering on the website. The price is the same for all harnesses. $700 for the controller and $150 for the harness. We do not have this harness in stock so allow a week before its shipped."

Powertrain Control Solutions LLC
11139 Air Park Rd. Suite 2
Ashland, Va. 23005"
Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also, please note that this is a separate issue from upgrading the valve body, torque converter, etc. These mechanical upgrades will be performed also.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You should try and get in contact with Riftswrx at NASIOC. He's my tuner and has a highly modified WRX auto. I'm sure he's dealt with all problems 4eat related. I know he can point you in the right direction for everything and has problem done all the legwork already.

Frank

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fmowry said:
You should try and get in contact with Riftswrx at NASIOC. He's my tuner and has a highly modified WRX auto. I'm sure he's dealt with all problems 4eat related. I know he can point you in the right direction for everything and has problem done all the legwork already.

Frank
Thanks for the info. I did post this on nasioc also, but I'll contact Riftswrx directly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts