Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which sti master cylinder has both ports/ holes on the side so it will fit the '07 4EAT forester???? To Clarify:
- I dont want to know that they mostly come with one on top
- I dont care about parts numbers because I am buying it used
- I dont want to know about diameter.
- I already know to install the bb at the same time even though it is frustrating to install. I have read that it is worth it

I am frustrated to the point of delirium at this point. This is the longest I have ever had to search for info and still not find anything since I started buying upgrades for my car. I am starting to think that the information is non existent. If any of you out there own 07-08 4eat foresters with an sti master cylinder as part of your brake upgrade, please feel free to help me by sharing the year of the sti you got it from. Thanks to any one who has any info to help me out.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, the only problem is that whenever I read something like what you have just posted and decide to finally give up looking, I read some post somewhere that says otherwise. I have seen a couple posts from ppl that have claimed to own a 4eat and have an sti mc installed. but then they seem not to know what year it is. So this must mean that they are either under the impression they were sold an sti mc when in reality, it was something else, or that they were actually right, and clueless. The possibilty of someone lying about having one is slim cuz there is no motive... so what could these 4eat owners possibly have??? i for one, am clueless

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER XT AUTOMATIC
183 Posts
any pics from other members with STI brake booster/MC install on auto, and pics of Sti brake booster/MC? Cause I want to know how many different sti ones out there, but need only ones to fit the auto...

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
I feel your frustration. I am sure one of the resident experts
will chime in at any moment to help.

Maybe you could ask a moderator to change the title to something more direct:
"4EAT STi master cylinder, does it exist?" or something similar.

EDIT: I just did a search for "sti master cylinder" and found a bunch of mod journals, this one
mentions that they have a 4EAT and that they did the STi m/c... (do the search too and maybe you
can find others)

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/preachers-04-xt-36545/

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
^^^^^Maybe you could ask a moderator to change the title to something more direct:
"4EAT STi master cylinder, does it exist?" or something similar.

Done, should attract some attention, and I was just looking at that thread!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
540 Posts
yeah, the 07/08 VDC 4EAT's also have 12mm flare nuts and 1/4" brake lines coming from th M/C

·
Registered
540 Posts
I now have a 2006 STi Master and booster in my 2007 Forester XT VDC 4EAT. It was a real task but it rocks, I currently have stock front pads/calipers/lines back on and the improvement is huge. I would say a M/C and BB + pads and braided lines would give most people the brakes they want.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,253 Posts
I now have a 2006 STi Master and booster in my 2007 Forester XT VDC 4EAT. It was a real task but it rocks, I currently have stock front pads/calipers/lines back on and the improvement is huge. I would say a M/C and BB + pads and braided lines would give most people the brakes they want.
My question is did you use the stock location lines or are your lines custom?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have an 06 STi Master Cylinder and Brake Booster install in my 06 FXT w/ 4EAT.
I cannot speak to any other year combination compatibility.
I have one line out of the top and one out toward the driver side fender.

'04-'06 is no problem, 07-08 4EAT is a problem, they have two ports out the side and they are 12mm not 10mm

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
@ SpotTheDogg

Perhaps you could detail what the "real task" part of installing the same MC & BB as I put into my 06 FXT into your 07 FXT?

My install involved nothing other than a balance of finesse and elbow grease, and that was mostly the brake booster. No rerouting hoses or lines etc.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My question is did you use the stock location lines or are your lines custom?
So here's a quick recap of what I did.
remove stock MC & BB, cut the factory 1/4" lines off a couple inches from the elbow. Drop a 1/4" flare nut on and re-flare.

I had to buy: two1/4" Flare nuts, two 1/4" to 3/16" reducers, two 3/16" to 10mm adapters, one 6" piece of hardline with two flare nuts on it. This would be much easier if someone made a M12 to M10 inverted flare reducer.

I had to bend (180*) a short line to go from the top/upward port down to the factory line. Assemble all the brass fittings to make it all fit. I also had a JDM booster that had a push rod that was an inch too long so I had to cut it with the Dremel under the dash and cut more threads onto it, not fun.

Anyway...it works awesome.

·
Registered
540 Posts
@ SpotTheDogg

Perhaps you could detail what the "real task" part of installing the same MC & BB as I put into my 06 FXT into your 07 FXT?

My install involved nothing other than a balance of finesse and elbow grease, and that was mostly the brake booster. No rerouting hoses or lines etc.
That's because you don't have a VDC car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts