Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 4EAT in my parents' '05 FXS is slipping. Either from a stop in first gear, or when rolling on the throttle (typically in 4th) going up a hill.

If you get on it hard from a stop, it is definitely slipping a lot, I only did it once, and it was readily apparent that it was a heavy slip.

Fluid has been changed every 25k miles or sooner since new, and the car currently has 161,000 miles. Filter was changed at 100k.

I did a drain/fill, drove 30 miles, drained/filled again, drove 60 miles, then drained/filled with a cocktail of Castrol High Mileage ATF and Lucas Transmission fix, but that does not seem to have made a big difference.

Anybody have suggestions? :icon_frown: Unfortunately, things are really tight with them right now, so we're looking for solutions in a bottle. :/

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
What kind of filter was used? I'd -only- use the oem trans filter.

Try some trans-X, it seems to be one of the few transmission fixes in a bottle that helps at all. It could fix a minor slip, but a major slip will likely require internal trans work/replacement.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts

Try some trans-X, it seems to be one of the few transmission fixes in a bottle that helps at all. It could fix a minor slip, but a major slip will likely require internal trans work/replacement.
+1 for Trans-X... it works (unless something's really fubared).

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It seems to be a minor slip thus far. I tried Lucas since my Silverado's Monster 700R4 seems to benefit from it a lot, but I'll do another drain and fill and try the Trans X.

It's an OEM filter as well. :smile:

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
You might consider trying the OEM fluid. My sister in laws 98 Outback was acting up in a similar fashion. I did two drain and refills for her and she says it is now working fine.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ I suppose I can pick some of that up at the dealer in Franklin when I get my car back tomorrow. Thanks for that tip as well.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, bought the ATF-HP and changed the fluid a few minutes ago. Drained/filled about 4 quarts.

Drove it about 20 miles. Slipped as usual at first, but the more I drove it, the less it slipped. After it seemed to go away, I made a couple WOT pulls from 10-70, and no slippage. None. Got it to 30, dumped on the gas, it downshifted, pulled to 80, no slip. It used to slip heavily before it downshifted, but now, it does not. Also used to slip at as little as 50% throttle when accelerating, but now, at WOT, no slipping.

That fluid, I say, must be infused with the grace of God. I'm not kidding. I bought the Trans-X, but I don't think I'll need to use it. After just one change, this seems to have fixed it. I'll change it again to get a better concentration of it, but wow. Great stuff.

Might wanna add this thread to a FAQ or something. If you can cure a trans slip by simply using the Subaru ATF, that is a big deal. :biggrin: We'll see if it holds, but so far, I am beyond pleased. Thanks, Richard.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So you put the ATF-HP in the older transmission? I might have to try that (they started calling for the HP in 06). The HP fluid is supposedly better than dex 3, but figured the requirement was just to keep it even across the line (as the 5eat has always required the HP).

What fluid was in there when it started to slip?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you put the ATF-HP in the older transmission? I might have to try that (they started calling for the HP in 06). The HP fluid is supposedly better than dex 3, but figured the requirement was just to keep it even across the line (as the 5eat has always required the HP).

What fluid was in there when it started to slip?
The old fluid (which I had used since the first change) was Valvoline Dex III.

It has slipped twice since putting the ATF-HP in... both almost not noticeable. I'm going to drain/fill again tomorrow and see if that helps some more.

I'm not sure what is in there, or what makes it different, but hey, it seems to work. *shrugs* I'll be buying some more next time I'm near a dealer to have on hand.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Okay, bought the ATF-HP and changed the fluid a few minutes ago. Drained/filled about 4 quarts.

Drove it about 20 miles. Slipped as usual at first, but the more I drove it, the less it slipped. After it seemed to go away, I made a couple WOT pulls from 10-70, and no slippage. None. Got it to 30, dumped on the gas, it downshifted, pulled to 80, no slip. It used to slip heavily before it downshifted, but now, it does not. Also used to slip at as little as 50% throttle when accelerating, but now, at WOT, no slipping.

That fluid, I say, must be infused with the grace of God. I'm not kidding. I bought the Trans-X, but I don't think I'll need to use it. After just one change, this seems to have fixed it. I'll change it again to get a better concentration of it, but wow. Great stuff.

Might wanna add this thread to a FAQ or something. If you can cure a trans slip by simply using the Subaru ATF, that is a big deal. :biggrin: We'll see if it holds, but so far, I am beyond pleased. Thanks, Richard.
Well then, that's the kind of review I need to hear to know what I'm going to do here in a few weeks! 12 quarts of Subaru ATF-HP, here I come!

If you don't mind me asking, what were they charging you per quart? $5.99 or more?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
I have a MY04 4EAT. My owner's manual simply states Dex III, nothing about HP fluid.

Question: Would it be safe/okay/beneficial for me to run this HP fluid in my MY04 4EAT in place of the reg Dex III?

I just drained/replaced my transmission fluid a few weeks ago and I've noticed quite a bit more slippage.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
From what I understand the HP fluid is mandatory for 06 and up models, but also beneficial for older Subies in place of Dex III.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well then, that's the kind of review I need to hear to know what I'm going to do here in a few weeks! 12 quarts of Subaru ATF-HP, here I come!

If you don't mind me asking, what were they charging you per quart? $5.99 or more?
Honestly, I don't really remember. I want to say it was a little more than that, maybe $8 a quart? I'll have to dig up the invoice somewhere.

I doubt it, since your car should already be filled with ATF-HP (unless you are talking about the Trans-X).

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
From what I understand the HP fluid is mandatory for 06 and up models, but also beneficial for older Subies in place of Dex III.
good deal - it would be nice to benefit from any added protection the HP fluid can provide, but don't want to do unnecessary harm by filling up a pre-06 4EAT that was never spec'ed for it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts