Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just curious if this is normal operation any help would be greatley appreciated. Ok so when decelerating for a sharp turn to say 15mph or less, when getting back on the accelerator I get a slight hesitation like it is searching for a gear and then it lurches into gear. Is this something to be worried about? Thanks

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Hey guys, just curious if this is normal operation any help would be greatley appreciated. Ok so when decelerating for a sharp turn to say 15mph or less, when getting back on the accelerator I get a slight hesitation like it is searching for a gear and then it lurches into gear. Is this something to be worried about? Thanks
Probably nothing to worry about.

Have you changed your fluid lately? Search the forum on fluid-change options - you can do it all-at-once or in three or four steps. Use Subaru ATF-HP.

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks I will do that first. The fluid may be a tad low so maybe that's the problem, although it is very clean and smells right. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Okay thanks I will do that first. The fluid may be a tad low so maybe that's the problem, although it is very clean and smells right. Thanks for the reply.
Hmmmm, no. 'Tad low' fluid won't cause this.

Basically a valve inside your tranny is sticking or at least not working smoothly. The only fix, short of a transmission rebuild, is to change the fluid. Changing fluid may not solve your problem, but it won't hurt anything. While in the change department...

- You can drain-and-fill three or four times, spread over a few days/weeks/months - uses up a case of ATF-HP.

- You can pump it out all-at-once by removing a hose to the ATF cooler section of the radiator, and then refill.

- You can take the vehicle to a shop that has suitable power-flushing equipment - figure $125+.

Search the forum for comments on all three approaches to this task. Your problem is not really that great, so don't divorce your wife and spend your child's college fund fixing it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,936 Posts
For your year you can use dexron III. But The HP stuff is better.

One other thing...unless I am going too fast I rarely get off the gas in normal driving unless I come to a stop. That's why I don't even notice if mine behaves as you mention.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
That is a pretty common occurrence with the 4EAT on the SG models... nothing really to worry about though. Manually downshifting into 3rd will help some if you're doing a lot of city driving. Also, as was said above, changing the fluid will male a difference. The ATF-HP really works wonders in our cars!

Here are a couple of threads regarding the same issue:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/2005-4eat-questions-3763/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/my06-4eat-shift-issue-4703/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts