Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which transmission is better to use in the automatic 4eat transmission for a 2004 Forester XT if all fluid changes will be done at proper intervals:

1. Dexron
2. Synthetic fluid (which brand / model is preferred?)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,696 Posts
I had mine done by my trusted Subaru dealership shop. I was given the option of going with Redline synthetic ATF at a higher cost & I decided to do this on my '03X & my '07 FSXT. I also went with Redline synthetic in the front & rear differential. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
269 Posts
My wife has an 02 Fozzy with the 4EAT. I did 3 cycles of the drain/refill technique to get most of the old stuff replaced by the new stuff. I also changed the filter on the last refill.

For the first 2 refills I used Maxlife Dex/Merc, which Valvoline says is synthetic. On the last refill I used M1.

The thing shifts fine, and has about 106k on the clock.

At the same time I changed the oil in both diffs, refilled with M1 gear oil.

She should be good to go now for a couple years without having to touch it other than the periodic level check. There are no leaks so that should be a snap.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,100 Posts
The Subaru HP is the best IMHO. Subaru has indicated tat Dexron III is not good for the Newer Subaru, long term. That tells me it should be better in older Subaru's than ATF's which only meet the Dexron III spec.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
"Dexron" is a GM trademark and was designed for GM transmissions. Dexron III has been superceded by Dexron IV and is no longer supported by GM. The latter is backward compatiable, though.

I use Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF because it's easy to find at my local auto supply shop and is compatible with Subaru transmissions. It's also fully synthetic and I like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.