Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my first time doing this but I still have questions.

The question that no one ever answers....just put back in the amount that you took out......well what if that amount isn't right to begin with? Say someone (me perhaps) added 5 quarts instead of 4 during a drain and fill previously?

No one ever has an answer for that, lol.

The dipstick it pretty doggone hard to read as well.

Also,

My long walmart funnel with flexible tubing split in half on me. I was wondering if there was something better out there to do the job with? It used to work ok.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,739 Posts
I've never checked mine, since the Redline full synthetic ATF was installed in both our Foresters by the Subaru dealership shop. :wink:

The Subaru technical service manual say to drain & refill with the same amount that was drained. They don't give a specific amount! :icon_eek:
Capacity: Fill the same amount of ATF drained from drain plug hole.
As to the dipstick reading:

• Raise the ATF temperature by driving a distance of 5 to 10 km (3 to 6 miles). Idle the engine to raise ATF temperature to 70 — 80°C (158 — 176°F).
• Make sure that ATF level is above the center of upper and lower marks at HOT side.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just going to drain and refill with a gallon. I have always wondered if you will get more than a gallon if someone overfilled.

I know about the dipstick procedure, I just get false positives when I am checking.

Too much energy and time spent on this.

What funnel are you all using?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts