Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After I installed the Perrin TMIC, the 4EAT dipstick that used to be just a PITA to get to became impossible to reach - the TMIC was simply too big to get my hand down there any more.

I decided to attach a piece of 1/4" fuel line to the dipstick handle to be able to pull it out. With just the hose, I was able to get it back onto the tube, but could not get the dipstick to seat all of the way. So, I took one of our snow markers (purchased at Home Depot) and cut the top off to make a "pusher." It worked out perfectly - I'm able to reach down and easily seat the dipstick in the tube.

For storage purposes, I stick the pusher in the end of the hose and lay it along the back of the TMIC.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Nice idea for those that check fluids frequently.:icon_biggrin:

Can you post a pic, to show how you attached the fuel line to the dipstick?
Looks like you cut and zip-tied it(?)

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
Great mod! Will consider doing because it's hard already with a front strut bar! Good write up

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post a pic, to show how you attached the fuel line to the dipstick? Looks like you cut and zip-tied it(?)
I split the hose about 3/4 inch and slid it over the handle. I then zip-tied the split hose back together inside the finger loop, and installed a second zip tie around the handle and hose. It's not coming off!

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How difficult is it to get the dip stick back into the tube?
Not bad at all. I can push it in most of the way with the hose, but need to stick to fully seat it. It's one of those deals where you can see it (the dipstick), but there's just no way to reach around the big TMIC to grab it without extending the handle some way.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Not bad at all. I can push it in most of the way with the hose, but need to stick to fully seat it. It's one of those deals where you can see it (the dipstick), but there's just no way to reach around the big TMIC to grab it without extending the handle some way.
Its impossible to check my fluid with my 08 tmic. Nice work. I have been thinking of a way to do this for a while. I almost want to go to the parts store and buy a oem dipstick tube and then find and aftermarket tube and make 1 really long tube. I would have to adjust the lenght of the dipstick but it could work. It seems your solution is much easier though:biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
20 Posts
Ran into the same problem myself after I put an STI TMIC on my 04. I just take the IC bracket off on the driver's side and stuff my hand in the hole. Fortunately I don't have an air pump like you though. But yeah, they kinda suck once you get a big TMIC in there =).

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Ran into the same problem myself after I put an STI TMIC on my 04. I just take the IC bracket off on the driver's side and stuff my hand in the hole. Fortunately I don't have an air pump like you though. But yeah, they kinda suck once you get a big TMIC in there =).
I agree, airpump ftl!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts