Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 Limited 4EAT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my '09 Limited, I get great hwy mileage (28-30) but so-so local mileage (16-18 (per the readout) -- I do mostly stop-and-go commuting). The 4EAT waits too long to upshift when I'm accelarating from a stop. It usually shifts at around 3000 unless I make it shift earlier by taking my foot off the gas at around 2000-2200 (this is what I usually do). I have a light foot, not trying to jackrabbit.

This week, I started playing with port mode, shifting when it seemed like a good idea, and I'm getting slightly better results, so I'm wondering if there's a way to get the tranny to shift at the right time in full auto mode. Thanks, all.

P.S. I noticed that sport mode will automatically drop from 4th down to 1st as I approach a stop sign -- cool. Also, it won't let me go to 3rd or 4th if the RPMs are too low -- that's smart thinking, Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,740 Posts
I use the sportshift most of the time too. This is my first auto tranny vehicle so I use it as a compromise. I usually shift between 2000-2500 rpm's-mostly because it is still in the break-in period. I've always been a light shifter to obtain the best mileage possible. Also don't floor it on acceleration-that sucks back the gas too:evilatyou:.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Try not to lug the engine (shifting at very low RPM's). I know this sounds nuts, but A LOT of people on this board have had milage increases by shifting at higher RPM's (between 3000-4000) when in stop and go traffic. I would toy with that idea on your next tank of fuel to see how you fare. As for me, I have the XT.....and to be honest, it doesn't matter if I rev the nuts off the car or drive economically, I still get 17 MPG/city regardless.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,786 Posts
Try not to lug the engine (shifting at very low RPM's)....
It is not possible to lug a modern engine with active valve and engine controls. Lugging occurs under load at such a low RPM that combustion gets ahead of valve timing. Pistons encounter this combustion too soon on the upstroke, and the engine will shudder, buck and might stall.

I have not felt lugging for a long time. It was easy to do on older engines with static valves and manual transmissions, but now the word lugging has merely come to mean applying power at low RPM, as in upshifting early.

The OP and I both have 4EATs, which cannot be loaded much before they downshift automatically. But my little 1500cc Scion with manual transmission and VVT can be loaded hard by flooring it in 5th at 1000 RPM. There is no lugging, just no power.

I also found that early shifting with very light throttle produced the best mileage in the xB.

·
Registered
09 Limited 4EAT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. I'll keep experimenting. But I may also bring it to the dealer just to make sure it's shifting at the right time - I'm due for a 15K service anyway.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,589 Posts
Thanks, all. I'll keep experimenting. But I may also bring it to the dealer just to make sure it's shifting at the right time - I'm due for a 15K service anyway.
Your Subaru is fine. Don't waste the money having them diagnose an imaginary problem.

You can get it to shift anywhere from 2000 or lower rpm to6000 rpm depending on your control of your accelerator. I try to get it to shift less than 2500 most of the time.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,786 Posts
... You can get it to shift anywhere from 2000 or lower rpm to 6000 rpm depending on your control of your accelerator. I try to get it to shift less than 2500 most of the time.
I let mine upshift at 1500 rpm, which it really wants to do. But then you have to keep your foot off the gas and endure almost no acceleration at all, or else it will downshift and defeat the purpose of the upshift.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
80 Posts
I've never driven a manual before but I have been experimenting with the sports shift recently... what are the best rpms to shift up for gears 1-4 (it automatically shifts down to 1 when I slow down).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts