Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I have a 2010 Forester XT Auto.

I've been getting irritated that my transmission seams to always love to shift into 4th (overdrive) even in sport mode. It becomes especially annoying when on a 60 - 70mph road with hills. It will not downshift at all. So I end up dropping speed on the incline until I hammer on it.

I've read about using the manual aspect of the transmission and keeping it in 3rd. Is driving in 3rd even better then sport mode?

I've also read that I can tap on the gas twice and force downshift the transmission? Does this work in both sport mode and normal drive mode?

Since I had my car pro-tuned, I've been driving it in sport since it prevents High Load, Low RPM situations. But I still run into weird situations that the transmission seams confused on what to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Any Tips? I love the car in the city using sport mode, there are just some situations it seems slightly unpredictable.

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Move the shift lever into 3rd, it keeps the transmission in 3rd
That's what I thought until I read this thread:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I think I understand whats all going on, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sport mode allows longer times in gears, however, still will shift into 4th (overdrive) at some awkward periods. When going up hills, this can make the engine feel bogged down. Double tapping the gas does force drop the forester a gear, which is a neat trick to give you that extra power for hills. I still have to master the double tap while driving.

I've also found that after I go over 40mph, the 4EAT likes to shift into 4th (overdrive). When this happens and I'm driving in sport, I'll just tap the shift down so I will drop back into 3rd. The 4EAT will auto downshift once you do this (when coming to a stop), but will require you to upshift after the stop. I thought you needed to lift up on the gas while shifting back up but its pretty seamless and doesn't seem to require it.

I'll have to mess with it a bit more to get the best procedures, but at least now I have a way to prevent the 4EAT from making the forester seem sluggish on hills and curves. I would get some knock while in 4th (overdrive) and trying to conquer hills and now I think I can prevent that.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts