Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 forester with 160k miles on it and an automatic transmission. If I start from a dead stop it shifts perfectly fine through all gears. However, if i slow for a corner and it is near the speed where the 1-2 shift occurs it acts like it is confused on weather to downshift or not and it will slip for a second or two before grabbing a gear. It seems to do it worse when cold but it still does it occasionally when warm. Fluid levels seem fine.

Is this a common problem? Any known fixes?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
I'd definitely give it a fresh fluid (and possibly filter) change. The fluid is the blood of the transmission, it makes everything work. When it gets crummy, things don't work so well. :(

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
i have the same issue sorta and my fluids followed the maintenence schedule to the letter. I think its just what happens when these trannies get older

·
Registered
1998 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure when or if the fluids have been changed, I have only owned it for about 8k miles. I will look at changing it to see if it helps, but I guess I was just curious if it was a common problem or not.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Does this by any chance happen mid-corner under hard cornering loads? If it is, there is a feature built into the TCU to delay the shift in the middle of a hard corner to prevent traction loss.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X
241 Posts
Does this by any chance happen mid-corner under hard cornering loads? If it is, there is a feature built into the TCU to delay the shift in the middle of a hard corner to prevent traction loss.
That's not helpful when you're trying to lose Guido the Killer Pimp...

Could it also be a sign the TPS is getting flaky?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts