Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys thanks for looking, im in need of a 4eat for my 04 xt and im wondering will i need one out of the same year xt or could i get one from 06-08? im running some heavy mods in the mid 300s. i dont really want to do a 5 speed swap i enjoy the auto. also if you have a trans for sale message me im located in MA so closer the beter..

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Manual
302 Posts
One small thing to watch for, for legacies/outbacks on the 03 to 04 transition they changed the AWD signal to the duty C solenoid (transfer duty solenoid), the solenoid and valve are different.
For legacies in '03 +12V meant release the AWD, in 04 +12V means full lockup.
I have not been able to find out for sure if this happened on the same year boundry for other subaru models.
I put an '04 trans in my '03 OBW and had to swap in the '03 AWD solenoid, AWD valve, and the plate behind the AWD valve.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
The 06 I put in my 04 has a 4:11 ratios so be ready to swaps rear diffs as well. Only 04's had the 444 gears but other subes had them also.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
The 06 I put in my 04 has a 4:11 ratios so be ready to swaps rear diffs as well. Only 04's had the 444 gears but other subes had them also.
All SG XT's had the 4.444 transmissions.

All SG N/A's had the 4.111 transmissions.

If you had an XT, and pulled a tranny out of an N/A model, that is the reason why you would have had to swap out the rear diff as well.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
04 was the first year of direct control trannies, but only in the XT variant. 05 was even different from that one. PM Goofy and he can fill you in on the details. I believe he even has an 04 xt tranny he wants to sell. If not, I know where there is another one that is definitely out of an 04 XT. It's at a breaker here in Denver.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
All SG XT's had the 4.444 transmissions.

All SG N/A's had the 4.111 transmissions.

If you had an XT, and pulled a tranny out of an N/A model, that is the reason why you would have had to swap out the rear diff as well.
I don't think this is correct I'm pretty sure my 07 fsxt 4eat has 4.11 diffs.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
04 was the first year of direct control trannies, but only in the XT variant. 05 was even different from that one. PM Goofy and he can fill you in on the details. I believe he even has an 04 xt tranny he wants to sell. If not, I know where there is another one that is definitely out of an 04 XT. It's at a breaker here in Denver.
Yes, I recall reading that there are some variances that the OP should look out for. It's probably best to look for a 04 xt 4eat only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts