Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Limited 5speed manual
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my new to me FXT to my regular mechanic. I asked what the labor would be. He said he could change the springs for 450 dollars(which seems high), but he would not be able to align the car. He went so far as to say I was going to ruin the tires and suspension if I did so.

I was planning on Swift springs for a moderate drop.

Is any of what he said logical? IS there another shop in the Winston Salem area of NC that would do this job properly?

Thanks for your thought on this.

Clay

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Dropping suspension(or raising for that matter) means you can no longer use "manufacturer specifications" for alignment.

His price seems like..."Yeah I'm a mechanic you like, but I don't want this headache*".

*And before you think that is bunk. My mechanic, and he is good, wouldn't touch the 9" lift I put on my F250. He blatantly said..."go elsewhere".

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
I agree, it sounds like the mechanic doesn't want anything to do with a modified setup (possibly liability reasons?), but the argument that it won't align to factory specs is BS. Swifts only drop the car by about an inch, it's not like the suspension geometry is radically altered. Find another shop.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
I agree, it sounds like the mechanic doesn't want anything to do with a modified setup (possibly liability reasons?), but the argument that it won't align to factory specs is BS. Swifts only drop the car by about an inch, it's not like the suspension geometry is radically altered. Find another shop.
I wouldn't know that part. But...

I don't spend time modding Subaru. True an inch probably wouldn't mean much.

My 9" on the F250 sure did. And I get new tires every 30k because of it. There is no alignment for that radical a lift...and I knew that going in.

My Miata is 1.5" lower and it is outside the "OE realm" as well. But there is plenty of support for that car to find alignment geometry that works.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
when I put swifts on my 2010 a local shop charged $350. They didn't do alignments there but recommended the guy they sent their customers to and he gave me a discount. Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable, go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Limited 5speed manual
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting responses guys. Thank you.
I think it must be that he doesn't want to mess with it. I have two other places I can go to that I trust to be fair and do good work.

So is anyone familiar with a Subaru specialty shop Near Winston Salem, NC?

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Find a local subaru club if you can. There always is someone who will be willing to help/guide/has the tools. I've helped a few people do springs swaps, and they aren't painful once you figure out how to compress the springs and reassemble everything. Takes an afternoon to do it. Then find a shop to do the alignment.

Or, if so inclined, buy the tools yourself, research, and do the swap! It always helps to have someone there who has done it before, even if they don't help, they can guide you.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I just took my new to me FXT to my regular mechanic. I asked what the labor would be. He said he could change the springs for 450 dollars(which seems high), but he would not be able to align the car. He went so far as to say I was going to ruin the tires and suspension if I did so. I was planning on Swift springs for a moderate drop.
Several thoughts: the price quoted is a tad high. It's a fair amount of work to remove all four struts, compress the existing springs, disassemble, compress the new springs, reassemble and install. He should be able to replace your struts for the same labor price - just add in the cost of the new struts.

Several years ago, I got a couple of quotes to do his job on an '05 X and the prices were in the $650+ range which included the new struts. In fact, I ended up doing the job myself. It took me and a friend working together about 5 hours to do all four corners. If we did it again, we could do it in 4 hours.

As for alignment, the shop is simply wrong. Swift springs are very well engineered specifically for the Forester. You should have no problem aligning your vehicle with them in place. As for the rear, there are no camber adjustments, but Swift springs should put your resulting camber within the acceptable range.

No, you won't ruin your tires. No, you won't get a date with Eva Mendes (and neither will the guy at that shop).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts