1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

Do you think I should get all four like these and clean them up:
SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 2.0T 2004 ALL 4 CALIPERS -BLOB EYE- on eBay (end time 27-May-10 11:42:54 BST)

Or these, forget the rears and simply fit fronts:
IMPREZA/LEGACY 4 POT CALIPERS on eBay (end time 24-May-10 20:40:11 BST)

Or these and buy a seal repair kit?
subaru impreza four pot brake calipers 99 on eBay (end time 20-May-10 22:27:20 BST)

I know I'll have to buy new discs and pads but as I've decided to start a course of modding my Foz I'm not in any particular rush...
Any better ideas I would be interested in, as long as silly money isn't involved.

A

·
0 Posts
In order to fit the rear 2 pots you "may" need adaptor brackets to move the caliper out from the hub to suit the newage rear discs.
Not too sure on the SG but the SF definitely needs them.
I personally think you will be better off just replacing the front brakes and discs..

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
As AP says, you'll need brackets for the rears if you wanted to fit them... not sure they'll make that much difference at the back.

If you go for 4 pots up front, you'll need 17" rims as they won't fit under the stock 16".

Was toying with 4 pots myself but decided just to get some decent discs and uprated pads up front as I have 17" wheels for my summer tyres but use the 16" rims for my winter tyres.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Btw, xt discs are the same size up front - 294mm - so depending on condition, you may only need new pads.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
for all those who say, just do the front, I'm going to argue the case for doing the back as well.

I initially did the front and though, wow what an improvement but got the brackets from CDF and fitted the back, which was a bit of a faff to be honest at they required a little percussive engineering to get the brackets to sit straight on the disks without catching. I didnt fit new discs or pads as the ones I got with the calipers still had plenty of meat on them.

Took the car for a spin up the cat and fiddle and what a transformation. the car stops much quicker than just with the fronts (and i've got grooved discs on the front) and I would say the car doesnt dive as much now as with just the fronts on but now more sits down.

I recently replaced the discs and pads and now it stops even better.

A

·
0 Posts
for all those who say, just do the front, I'm going to argue the case for doing the back as well.

I initially did the front and though, wow what an improvement but got the brackets from CDF and fitted the back, which was a bit of a faff to be honest at they required a little percussive engineering to get the brackets to sit straight on the disks without catching. I didnt fit new discs or pads as the ones I got with the calipers still had plenty of meat on them.

Took the car for a spin up the cat and fiddle and what a transformation. the car stops much quicker than just with the fronts (and i've got grooved discs on the front) and I would say the car doesnt dive as much now as with just the fronts on but now more sits down.

I recently replaced the discs and pads and now it stops even better.
You have to also factor in that your car is an auto, that means your brakes need to work much harder than manuals, I have done just the front on mine and it stops fine with 280 horses under the bonnet :icon_biggrin:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Just check with James @ GRD and he has some quality Newage WRX ones coming in off an upgrade shortly :rock:

Will advise on how much he will be trading them in for when he does the deal on the upgrade.

:Banane14:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
You have to also factor in that your car is an auto, that means your brakes need to work much harder than manuals, I have done just the front on mine and it stops fine with 280 horses under the bonnet :icon_biggrin:
Granted but IMHO i think you can tell the difference. BTW you can do engine braking in an auto :biggrin:

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
If you go for 4 pots up front, you'll need 17" rims as they won't fit under the stock 16".
True for the 1st and last link he posted since these have the raised "SUBARU" letters and definitely don't fit.
The ones in the second link look like they came off of a 06-07 wrx, and my understanding is that these will fit under the XT 16".

This is all based on reading I have done on this board, so feel free to point the error of my way :) I do have a set of the 06-07 calipers but I haven't had a chance to put them on the car yet.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
The ones in the second link look like they came off of a 06-07 wrx, and my understanding is that these will fit under the XT 16".
Oooo.... can anyone confirm this - I might upgrade to 4 pots after all if they can! :icon_biggrin:

(though the brembo discs + red stuff pads are proving pretty effective for the moment).

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies, lads, good stuff!

On the wheels front I have 17" BK984 alloys so they should be fine for all but Brembo's AFAIK. I think from what I'm hearing I'll go for just the fronts to start with but Mikes observations about the rears are interesting so will definately keep that in mind for the future.

Rich, would be interested in hearing the price for those Newage calipers - any idea when they might be available?

Cheers all.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Rich, would be interested in hearing the price for those Newage calipers - any idea when they might be available?

Cheers all.
Have already asked matey :biggrin:

Normally, James lets 'em go at around:

£250 for the front 4-pots - including discs & pads
£150 for the rear 2-pots - including discs & pads,

but as I say, it depends on the deal he's done for them with the upgrade etc.

Will advise as soon as I know for sure.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mark, yet another book(Mark)... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I remember reading a post on Scoobynet from Alyn of AS Performance saying the rears do provide a lot of stopping power and help balance the car if the front calipers have been uprated.
Is that SF and SG... SG (fronts at least) have bigger discs so the difference in brake balance by fitting 4 pots to the front only may be more in an SF?

Ultimately, it's the size of the disc that makes the biggest difference. Bigger disc = bigger frictional area = increase conversion of kinetic energy to heat energy = stop faster.

With any given disc size, there's a limit to how kinetic energy it can convert into heat and thus slow you down... 4 pots just get you to that limit with less effort than a 2 pot! :icon_biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts