Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
699 Posts
For the front you don't need anything else but for rear you will need mounting hardware(adapter).What kind of brake kit you geting?

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
the rears need an adaptor and i used leagacy h6 rear rotors. tossed the dust shields.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
You need lines for the front. The 4 pot uses a different mechanism to prevent the line from rotating when you tighten the banjo bolt. The stock 2 pot has tabs on the caliper. The 4 pots has a small hole to accomodate a hook from the line. See the pic: 4 pot line on left, original on right. So either make sure the calipers come with the lines, or plan on buying some (in which case, steel braided lines make sense)

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not try to find some WRX rear hubs instead of an adapter?
Having not disected this part of the car yet (1) do the hubs hold the bearings - as in pressed in and (2) do the hub assemblies have the WRX dust shields attached?

I would so SS lines at the same time - good to know about the differences of the WRX vs. FXT lines.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
I would so SS lines at the same time - good to know about the differences of the WRX vs. FXT lines.
Make sure you don't let the master cylinder reservoir get empty while changing the lines. I did and ended up having to bleed it which is a pain compared to just bleeding calipers.
I read in another post that if you keep the brake pedal pushed in it will prevent the reservoir from going dry.
As other have already mentioned, you'll need brackets for the rear. I lucked out and found a brand new pairs of the Kartboy brackets for cheap on this board while collecting parts.
HPT Motorsports - Kartboy 02-05 WRX Rear 2-POT Caliper Adapter Brackets

I removed the dust shields on mine.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,017 Posts
well you have two options for the rear...

you can run the Kartboy adapter bracket and simply trim your dust shields (drill out welds and remove)
or you can just pickup a set of 07 WRX rear backing plates. The second option requires more work as you'll need to reassemble the rear hubs with the new backing plates using your existing e-brake parts and such. This method allows you to retain the dust shields though, and prevent potential brake pad hyrdo-planing.

I went with the KB adaptors for the time being, but have a set of 07 WRX backing plates on the shelf for the future. I'll swap them on eventually... but it's a lot of extra work than I feel like doing for the time being.

Getting yourself a set of 06-07 WRX stainless brake lines is a nice feature too. It really helps finish off the setup.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can run the Kartboy adapter bracket and simply trim your dust shields (drill out welds and remove)
or you can just pickup a set of 07 WRX rear backing plates. The second option requires more work as you'll need to reassemble the rear hubs with the new backing plates using your existing e-brake parts and such. This method allows you to retain the dust shields though, and prevent potential brake pad hyrdo-planing.
So, I would be installing WRX shields on the FXT hubs? IIRC, the shields are spot-welded on, yes? Not having the shields would bug me so I will do what is needed to get them on.

Not worried about bleeding the brakes. I use a vacuum pump and reservior to pull brake fluid through the open bleeder - it works perfectly!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
imo just swap the whole knuckle/hub assembly. It holds the bearing, hub, backing plate, dust shield etc. You could likely get a set of rear hubs for about the same price as adapters.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I were to go the WRX hub route, do the FXT parking brake parts fit?

It seems doing the hub conversion is the cleanest way to do this (avoiding the caliper adapter), I just need to figure out what the entire list of parts would be.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
My shopping list for the 4pot front conversion is just about complete. The only remaining item is SS brake lines. Like the picture shows, the OEM lines on the 06/07 4pots have a prong to prevent the line from spinning. Do aftermarket braided SS lines have the prong, too? I'll most likely get Rotora, Stoptech, or Goodridge lines.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I've been reading that aftermarket SS lines don't have the prong to prevent them from spinning. I guess that if the fitting is adequately torqued, it shouldn't be a problem. I ordered some Brembo blank rotors and Rotora SS lines.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts