Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 FORESTER
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Forester which has tires that are only about a year old. I picked up some road debris which entered the tire in the sidewall making the tire not repairable. They are telling me that I need four new tires because, after measuring the tread on the remaining 3 tires, the 3 tires would be 2 to 3 32s different than the new one. Now I understand that if the tires are much different then there is a problem; but is this minute difference critical?
Thanks
PL

·
Registered
94 FORESTER
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said they would sell me 1 tire but with the consequence of screwing up my drive train down the road. (No pun intended). I am just trying to figure what gamble I would be taking putting 1 new tire on.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
They said they would sell me 1 tire but with the consequence of screwing up my drive train down the road. (No pun intended). I am just trying to figure what gamble I would be taking putting 1 new tire on.
Can 'o worms in my book.

They should be able to shave that one tire, if not, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
have you tried looking for a similar used tire with the same tread depth?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
have you tried looking for a similar used tire with the same tread depth?
You don't want to use a different brand/series of tire usually, I would try shaving first.

Personally, I run 2 same size/spec tire sets, two are one brand, two are another because I refuse to pay for four tires over such a small difference in rolling circumference, no issues in my subies over the last 3 years...and no one shaves around here.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,779 Posts
Personally, I run 2 same size/spec tire sets, two are one brand, two are another because I refuse to pay for four tires over such a small difference in rolling circumference, no issues in my subies over the last 3 years...and no one shaves around here.
Personally I would put one of the same tires on the front and one on the back. That way when you are going in a relatively straight line you will have a speed match of front/rear. Not saying I'm right.

And to the OP..there have been 3,431 threads on this subject. ;)
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/replacing-tire-how-close-size-does-need-others-75716/

The criteria is less than 1/4" circumference.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I personally would just slap a new single matching (same make/model) tyre on there. I think you'll be fine. 2/32nds difference can happen with different tire pressures, so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
94 FORESTER
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, my Forester is a 04. Sorry...
What about this idea. Slightly overinflate the older smaller tires and the slightly underinflated the new one. That could make up for the difference in circumference could it not?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yes, my Forester is a 04. Sorry...
What about this idea. Slightly overinflate the older smaller tires and the slightly underinflated the new one. That could make up for the difference in circumference could it not?
Don't think that is a good idea, they will wear oddly. Just buy a new same type tire and call it a day, or buy a pair lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts