Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil & filter on my '19 Forester for the first time. I use an oil extractor which drains into a measured container. I got out just under 5 quarts. I checked the owner manual (yes I am one of the few who actually reads it) and saw that 4.4 quarts with filter is listed as a full fill. I used a Subaru filter and added about 4.5 quarts and saw on the dipstick that the level was not full. I then kept adding until I had about 4.8 quarts in when it showed full. Just to be sure, while the car was on level ground I checked again after running the engine for a short period of time and waiting about 30 min after shutting it off. It still shows full, not over full.

So, I am wondering if there is a math error in the book. 4.8 quarts is essentially 4.5 liters. My '16 Legacy with the same engine and same filter used 5.1 quarts so I have no idea what the real number is, but as 4.8 shows full on the dipstick I will use that

By the way, the factor filter was put on by a gorilla. I really had to torque that thing hard to get it to release. In addition, with the new (Mobil 1) oil the engine is much quieter with no valve lash sound.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Reputable dealership used all 5 quarts of my oil, which left the mark on the dipstick a little above the full mark. The same level as what the engine came with from Subaru.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts