Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GT30r'd Forester JDM 6-speed
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Sorry to ask a question that has probably been beaten to death in the past, but I just can't seem to find a collaborative post with what I'm looking for. I did search, but it seems like the information was either available, for the fronts and not the rear, or vice versa, or for a different model year Forester than I have.

I'm going to be installing the 4/2 pot calipers on a 2004 FXT. All I currently have is the rear 2 pots and the adapter. I plan on also picking up a set of 4 pot's for the front (non-raised lettering) and a set of SS lines. My question is what rotors are most commonly used for this install? Keeping my stock rotors for the rear is at least not an option, they are shot. Also, is there anything else that I'm going to need for this install that I'm overlooking? Thanks to you all in advance for any help that you can be to me on this.

Side note.... I'd love suggestions on rotor brands... but my main question was in regards to fitment.... I use 2004 FXT rotors, or some year WRX rotors or what?

-Jason

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Tuned200 is right. You can reuse your XT rotors up front, but you need new rears. The XT has 266ish sized rear rotors and the 2 pots use a 290 rotor that I believe is vented.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
542 Posts
If you go that route, (wrx 4 pots in front, 2 pots with larger rotors in back) do you have to do anything to make sure the front to back braking balance is preserved?

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
From what I can tell, I ran the larger LGT rears out back with the stock XT fronts for a while and it actually braked better when I pushed it into a corner and trailbrake. As far as a number, I have no clue what they are front to rear stock vs modded. But with a complete set of f&r's, one would think that they would be balanced.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I run stock XT fronts and 290mm rotors in the back and it has a much more balanced feel than it did stock. I'm upgrading to LGT fronts once it warms up though.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
wouldnt it be 06/07 wrx front n rear rotors? since those specific years use the 4/2 pot setup stock?

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
For the fronts, get 2005 Outback XT rotors, they are a more heavy duty design over WRX/FXT rotors.

Centric Part number 120.47021

While you could get cheaper autozone type blanks, for around $25 or so... There is a difference in these...

·
Registered
2005 GT30r'd Forester JDM 6-speed
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I can tell, I ran the larger LGT rears out back with the stock XT fronts for a while and it actually braked better when I pushed it into a corner and trailbrake. As far as a number, I have no clue what they are front to rear stock vs modded. But with a complete set of f&r's, one would think that they would be balanced.
When you say "larger" LGT rears, are you saying that with your 2 pots you used the LGT rotors versus using the WRX rotors... or are you saying that there is more than one style of LGT rear rotor, and of those, you used the larger model. Sorry, if that seems like an obvious answer, but I'm still in the fog here. I'm pretty solid on the fronts, but it seems like I'm getting alot of "i think i used" on the rear rotors, and not many concrete specifics. Thanks in advance because you as well as everyone else have been a huge help thus far.

-Jason

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
180 Posts
I am running 4/2 pot brakes on my 04 XT. The fronts use the same size rotor as stock and bolt right on no problems. The rears need the adapters and use the rotors from an 06/07 WRX. They are 290mm and vented.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
wouldnt it be 06/07 wrx front n rear rotors? since those specific years use the 4/2 pot setup stock?
+1

I've got this setup and those are the rotors I'm running.
The fronts are the same rotors, but you need the rear rotors from a MY06/07 WRX essentially. There may be other rotors available in the same size from other model Subarus though... I'm not saying the WRX rotors are the only size that works, just that they definitely work.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,008 Posts
+1

I've got this setup and those are the rotors I'm running.
The fronts are the same rotors, but you need the rear rotors from a MY06/07 WRX essentially. There may be other rotors available in the same size from other model Subarus though... I'm not saying the WRX rotors are the only size that works, just that they definitely work.
Same here.

·
Super Subie Fan
2004 Forester XT 6spd MT (2005 STI)
291 Posts
Great post and advice! I now know what brake upgrade I am going to plan to do! Well, that is until I do a full STi conversion.... someday.... maybe... hopefully... sigh

1 - 20 of 25 Posts