Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i need extensive engine work done on my 2005 forester 2.5x... The warranty would cover it, but they need proof of an oil change every 3,000 miles! I have it changed around every 5,000 miles. I provided proof of 4 oil changes but they want 6... anyone know of a way around this? I did two of them myself but do not have the reciepts they require...

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Open the owners manual and show them the oil change interval range. I THOUGHT 5000 miles was "acceptable" for the N/A cars.

Also, find out what is wrong. They can't deny the claim if they can't prove that the failure was caused by a lack of oil changes.

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well their doing a total engine tear down now... the manual is in the car!!! does the manual say every 5,000 miles? what does the factory recommend?

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but i had a friend listen to it and he said it sounded like a piston rod was broken

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,520 Posts
Are you a member at MySubaru? It's free & you can find the information you need there, including the Owner's Manual on line. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no but ill check it out... im so worried about this problem! their gonna do everything they can to not cover it! I KNOW IT

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Oil changes are every 7,500 miles, unless you fall under "severe driving conditions" in which case it's every 3,750. If your car is a turbo, you fall under "severe driving conditions". If you don't have a turbo, the wording of "severe driving conditions" is rather ambiguous, so if you insist most of your driving is highway driving with minimal stop and go driving, you can tell them to suck it cuz you'd only need changes every 7,500.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
The thing i don't get though is dealers love warranty work. It's good money for the techs and it makes customers happy. So i don't think we're getting the whole story here?

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does the Warranty and Maintenance booklet say every 7500 miles or am I interpreting it wrong?

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
3000 mile oil changes are DEALER recommendations not Subaru's. It is their way of squeezing some "after the sale" scratch from you. There is no way they can hold you to that. I'd ask to deal with a regional rep rather than a Service Manager. SMs are the "NO" guy you have to get passed. Call SOA if needed.

And read this...The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil changes are every 7,500 miles, unless you fall under "severe driving conditions" in which case it's every 3,750. If your car is a turbo, you fall under "severe driving conditions". If you don't have a turbo, the wording of "severe driving conditions" is rather ambiguous, so if you insist most of your driving is highway driving with minimal stop and go driving, you can tell them to suck it cuz you'd only need changes every 7,500.
I should of refreshed the page faster!!! thats what I found!!! AWESOME

·
Registered
2005 forester X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing i don't get though is dealers love warranty work. It's good money for the techs and it makes customers happy. So i don't think we're getting the whole story here?
thats what i thought... the SM was just explaining that she was getting some resistance from the warranty company... i havent even gotten a price from them yet... just extreamly worried

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
So this is a 3rd party warranty on a used car then. Subaru will be of no help, gotta read the warranty Co's Ts&Cs.

If the warranty demands documented 3k changes, you're likely SOL regardless of the manufacturer's recommendations...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,399 Posts
So this is a 3rd party warranty on a used car then. Subaru will be of no help, gotta read the warranty Co's Ts&Cs.

If the warranty demands documented 3k changes, you're likely SOL regardless of the manufacturer's recommendations...
How many miles is on this car? Aren't you falling under Subaru's waranty.
If you are under Subaru's warranty:

3000 mile oil changes are DEALER recommendations not Subaru's.
And read this...The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.....the dealer must prove that your actions caused damage. Also Subaru does not specify the type of documentation that is required for warranty coverage. They don't specify that before warranty coverage is given you are required to take proof of wa of service to them.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
melon,

Some additional data would help us zero in on the issue. Your profile indicates that you have a 2005 Forester X (non-turbo). The basic warranty for the 2005's was for 3 years / 36k miles. Although your car has only 30K miles on it, the original warranty has expired because the 36 month coverage period has passed.

So, do you have an extended warranty? is it through Subaru (SOA) or a third party? What are the T's and C's about required maintenance?

Another issue with the "required" oil change interval is that it can be based on time or mileage. The 2005's Maintenance Schedule requires an oil change every 7.5K miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first. After ~5 years (~60 months?) of ownership, the warranty underwriter may be expecting to see at least 60 months / 7.5 months per change = receipts for 8 oil changes.

However, if they're willing to accept an oil & filter change every 7.5K miles per the schedule (a bit long, IMHO) based on mileage, the four receipts should be good enough.

Ultimately, it may come down to whatever fine print is in the (extended) warranty document(s).

On the other hand, Subaru's 2005 powertrain warranty is good for 5 years or 60K miles, whichever comes first. But, you may still be looking at the issue of oil & filter changes every 7,500 miles (4 changes in 30 K miles) or every 7.5 months (8 changes).

Powertrain Limited Warranty (scan down page)

Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve train
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and covers
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake manifold
Oil seals and gaskets
Turbocharger Assembly
Transaxle case and internal parts
Transaxle seals and gaskets
Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)**
Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Transaxle seals and gaskets
Propeller shaft
Wheel bearings​
Finally, I would expect that some (many?) emission control system items would be covered under the California-specific emissions equipment warranty. I don't have that info handy.

A though review of your car's warranty docs may be in order. For example, the on-line warranty docs for my '09 include the following statement:

Your Maintenance Responsibilities

It is your responsibility to have all scheduled inspection and maintenance services performed at the times and mileages recommended at the back of this booklet and to retain proof that inspection and maintenance services are performed when recommended. One method of proof is for you to have each maintenance service record contained in this Booklet validated at the proper time or mileage by the Authorized SUBARU Dealer or other service facility performing the service. You are also responsible for checking such items as fluid levels and tire pressures regularly.
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Only if the job can be done under the alloted time. Factory flat rate times are the very basic times, assuming that the mechanic/shop has all the specific tools and all the necessary parts on hand and there are no delays in the repair from start to finish. I know too many mechanics who would disagree with your statement.
Granted there are jobs that can be done in less than the warranty times allot, then I can see both parties loving it.

The other option is to contact Subaru and open a file on the issue you are having with the dealer. If the dealer is saying it is a warranty repair, then Subaru themselves will decide if your receipts are sufficient enough. If it is a third party warranty, then you may have a battle on your hands.
Hopefully it gets resolved in you favor.

Keep us posted, enquiring minds want to know!!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I'd still like to know if it is an issue with Subaru's warranty or a third-party-scam-waste-of-time-and-money-warranty. :confused:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
I can understand melon freaking out: the dealer's doing an engine tear-down, which SOMEONE is going to pay for, and he's being told his warranty paperwork isn't in order. Not a good situation. I think he'll come out of it okay if he keeps pushing, but somebody wants to make him sweat...melon, is this a third party warranty that the sales manager sold you? Or is it a Subaru warranty?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Get an oil sample before they open the engine and have blackstone check it. Have the service manager present when the sample is taken and seal the bottle with a tell tale tape and mail it out from their mailroom. This way the current oil fill can be ruled out as being out of spec. Have a TBN test done too. I've had to go to court on issue like this, and the dealer backed out at the last minute and made a deal to fix the engine prior to any court action. They know they will loose a court action if you have hard evidence and not speculatative info.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts