Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion (based on experience) with 3M Clear Bra Protection product(s). Is it worth the investment? Does it really work? How does it look? Any recommendations or insights are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
It works exactly as advertised and most people can't tell it's there at first glance. If you don't want rock chips on your hood then it's the only way to go. It's certainly not cheap but IMO it's worth it.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I agree, it's worth the cost but don't try to do it yourself. I did it once and never again...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,720 Posts
It works exactly as advertised and most people can't tell it's there at first glance. If you don't want rock chips on your hood then it's the only way to go. It's certainly not cheap but IMO it's worth it.
Where did you have your clear bra installed? :confused: They don't make a front hood protector for an '06-'08 XT, so this is the only way to protect the hood from rock chips. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,485 Posts
Where did you have your clear bra installed? :confused: They don't make a front hood protector for an '06-'08 XT, so this is the only way to protect the hood from rock chips. :frown:

Bobby...
Tommy's Window Tinting. I did a package deal when I got my windows tinted. I got a few quotes from other places and some of them were ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
15 Posts
I pretty much suck at pretty much everything car related, but I was able to do it. The tough part is the custom cutting of the 3m bra, so just buy one that is laser cut for your year, and youtube the install. I bought mine on ebay..but there are pry tons of vendors online. I did one on my impreza and saved $100 and it took an hour if that....and it was perfect and has been on the car since 2007. Works great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a quote to get my wife's 2010 2.5x done when we pick it up later this month. It is well worth the $$, saves the front of the car. We have a 2008 MB that looks brand new with no front chip at all.

·
Registered
11 XT Forester
11 Posts
I see that there is a patch of clear bra material over the front of the rear wheel wells on my new '11 xt. So, if it's good enough for subaru to install, then that's all I need to know that it works.

BTW, has anyone run into problems with paint chipping at that location? I note that that area seems to be a crap magnet and is covered with mud quickly.

Anyhow, I got the lower front area covered, and also the leading 18" of the hood done. Also, I saw that the turbo scoop's leading edge gets dirty quickly, so I had that covered too - although the strip is rather thin and likely won't last for many years, which is still better than nothing.

Also, I got the front underguard that fits between the foglamps - it does a fine job of covering the paint down there - and if gets chewed up I'll either just ditch it or buy another, and still have good paint down there.

The clear bra was pricey but I think it might pay for itself eventually, and wish I'd gotten the whole hood done.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
22 Posts
3M

Bobby:
I live in Salem (OR) and had:
Ultimate Auto Detail 503.375.0526 do my '10 Forester.
We used them a lot for detailing cars from our dealership.
Mercedes, Acuras, so they do a great job!
Ask for Rick and tell him Alan sent you.
By the way, can't tell the film is on; put it on front of hood,
bumper, mirrors, door edges, and behind the door handles.
AJ

·
Registered
2008 Forester GT
4 Posts
Sounds pretty good as 3m products are of quality items. I have heard though that after a while, the area that is protected will be a different shade of colour as the film was placed over that area.

I paid my panel beater $200 to paint my bar when it gets bad, as the wife doesnt know how to pass trucks comfortably yet. LOL

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,324 Posts
i recommend Tommy's as well. I got my tint done there and my brother got tint and clear bra on his car. We had been going to Alexia's in Beaverton but once we found Tommy's, we haven't gone anywhere else.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
102 Posts
Clear Bra

I bought mine on eBay as well - the only problem was that it did not have a cut off for the scoop (Turbo). I had to put it on and then cut excess with a razor after I installed it. Be careful not to cut into the clear coat paint.

For DIY folks out there, you can use the kitchen dish soap mixed with water, hair dryer and rubber squeegie to put it on the hood!

If you want to have it done, any shop that does window tinting can put it on.
----------------------------------------------------
2010 Forester XT Premium

1 - 15 of 15 Posts