Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a local deal on a nice set of wheels...only downside is the low offset. Anyone running an offset near +38 run into early wheel bearing failure?

Also...I may be running '04 STi hubs soon, which the OEM offset is +53.

The car will see mostly DD use and eventually I may get back into autocross or participate in a track day.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I am not a wheel expert but a 1 cm to 1.5 cm outside the manufacturers spec...WOW.

If we leave the comments aside about the appearance of a wheel sticking out that much...how long do you think the bearings would last.

I would stick to rims that are a few mm from stock and save your bearing repair money for better rims.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,473 Posts
I'm not completely sure how the STi hubs will affect your stock wheel offset? :confused: The smaller the offset number, the closer to the fender the tire/wheel will be. My first thought is that those tire/wheels are going to be way out there! I'm running running 18x7.5", +42 offset on the '07 FSXT & 17x7", offset +40 on the '03 X. This places the 235 tires flush with the fenders. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
like sleeper said, hubs have nothing to do with offset. swapping to the 04 sti hubs will leave the hub face/hub studs in the EXACT same position inside the wheel well.

what is the WIDTH of the wheels you are thinking of buying? +38 as a number by itself really doesn't help us help you right now.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Mine are 17x9 +38 and I've had no problems at all. Now those that are REALLY into the "Hellaflush" look who put 20mm spacers on their +38 wheels, now that can lead to problems.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel size is 17x7.5" As far as looks go, as long as they are not past the fenders or hitting the suspension I don't care. I'd like to be able to run a 235/50 tire on them without rubbing. It would mainly be to keep me from having to buy new wheels, and saving $250. But if the bearings won't last as long then I'm really not saving any money.

·
Administrator
39,473 Posts
On wider rims, the width is split between the front & back side of the wheels, meaning a 7.5" wheel will be farther out then a 9" wheel, with the same offset. I'd recommend going here & plugging in your stock wheel & what you want to go to & read the data. The stock offset is +48, so if you go with a +38 offset, you'll be stressing the wheel bearing. I accepted that fact when we went with +42 & +40 offset on our Foresters. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
ok now that we know the size: 17x7.5+38

and assuming you're on stock wheels/tires right now which are 16x6.5+48

the new wheels will stick out 20mm farther (almost an inch). so go outside and use whatever measurement/visualization process you want to see if you think that will fit. depending on your ride height the tires might hit the fender lips, especially when the suspension compresses. you may need to roll your fenders slightly or run more negative camber to clear (which means camber bolts). some of that has to do with your choice of a 235 wide tire. you may be better off running a 225/50. it may give a hair more clearance, and personally a 235 is too wide for a 7.5 anyways IMO.

people freak out about the low offset/wheel bearing issue way too much IMO too. a 17x7.5+38 is in no way shape or form a wide wheel with an extreme offset by any means. as long as you're not auto crossing every weekend your bearings will be fine and probably last just as long as they normally last on a forester (which is not wonderful in the first place, compared to other cars).

if you're that worried about them fitting then don't buy them.

EDIT: rereading sleeper's post. he's running 17.7+40's with 235's. using the wheel tire link if i plug in both wheels using 235/50 as the tire size the 7.5+38 will still out 2mm farther than sleeper's wheels.

i highly recommend just going with a 225/50 as that will give you a bit more clearance and fit even better IMO.

·
Administrator
39,473 Posts
^^ I agree!

235/50 might push you past the fender with the +38 offset. You might consider 225/50, with the +38 offset, should give you a flush fit. It will stress the wheels bearing, but there's always something. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
suspension is FSTi take-offs. Currently riding on 17x7 superleggeras 225/50. Plan on running close to -2 deg camber F and -1.5r. Since (if everything goes as planned) I'll have about ~260-270 whp (stg2 sti drivetrain) I'd rather have more room for the 235's, though initially I'll be running my current 225's till I run them out.

I may just break down and get some SDR's in 17x7.5 +48. BTW I've been running 235/40 452's on 17x7.5's on my wrx for quite some time and a 235 width tire is not an issue on a 7.5 rim. Maybe in a wider tire there would be an issue but not with those falkens.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
first off 04sti hubs are junk just like our oems, 05+ hubs are an upgrade. that being said your bearings will be fine... your tires, suspension and fenders will have to be setup for a wheel w/ that offset to not rub however.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
first off 04sti hubs are junk just like our oems, 05+ hubs are an upgrade. that being said your bearings will be fine... your tires, suspension and fenders will have to be setup for a wheel w/ that offset to not rub however.
I know they are the same which is why I started this. I already had to do the fronts on my wrx at about 60k and I was only running a +48mm offset, though I was auto-xing it regularly.

I guess I'll try to stick with +45 or +48 in a 7.5" width or 8" +45mm. I noticed rota now makes a few models in a 17x9 +42...nice for a track set though I might not get back in to that for awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts