Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recently changed my mafs for a new one ...there was nothing wrong with the old one (140,000 miles !) , i just got hold of a brand new item for less than 100 quid , so thought it worth the money . I have used 4 tanks of fuel since and managed to get 335-40 each time which is up 40 on usual !! ...This is normal driving which is a mix of motorway , town and full beans ! ...so seems the new mafs was worth it :woohoo:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
340 miles per tank? Seriously? I'm lucky to hit 240! Where can I buy this 'magic' MAF you speak of????? ;o)

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
I can manage 360 miles if I turn the boost down and drive at 70mph on the motorway.

I managed Penzance to Macclesfield in September on one tank, driving back overnight but I had to fill up the next day as the fuel needle was wrapped around the bottom.

Normal every day use I get around 200 miles to a tank, but thats with the boost turned up and me not hanging about. :biggrin: No motorways close to here so its all A-roads like the cat and fiddle :icon_frown:

I've said it before but if you reduce the boost with an EBC or even manually with your foot, the MPG will go up. :crazy:

A newer MAF might help but I would imagine the miracle effects wont last long :confused:

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
340 miles per tank? Seriously? I'm lucky to hit 240! Where can I buy this 'magic' MAF you speak of????? ;o)
Nothing magic about it , its just the mass air flow sensor = mafs :biggrin:......and they cost a bloody fortune brand new

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A newer MAF might help but I would imagine the miracle effects wont last long :confused:
ooh poo ! really ? I'm guessing you think it will get dirty and not work quite as efficiently as time goes on which makes sense ....

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
In get 270, mostly motorway, but standard TurboS, part from the back box.

The same trip, I was getting 210 from a 04 Twin Scroll tuned to 397bhp.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
360 regularly on mine and I redline it alot to get upto speed etc (as I have a non-turbo)......as I didnt listen to mykp's wise words before I bought a Forester :icon_rolleyes:

So.....if you clean your existing MAF it should help?

How do you access (photo?) a MAF and clean? On my old TDI you just pulled a dongle up and sprayed electrical contacts cleaner across.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
All I will say is, contant 70 mph on the motorway. At 2am its possible!!!!
(362 miles using 51 litres = 32 mpg)

Also you'll be surprised at how much fuel is in your tank once the needle hits the bottom. I've let mine run dry once to see where it run out and it was right down at the bottom before it coughed and spluttered (I think because it was cornering hard). I then still managed to drive down the cat and fiddle for 7 miles to the petrol station.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Hi

I can get 620+ per tank, but thats what you get for havig an oil burner:evilatyou:
Tsk tsk, theres always one willy-waver isnt there.. :D

...I bet over on the Impreza's forums they argue over who can get the LOWEST mpg :rock:

A

·
0 Posts
340 miles would be an absolute dream for me!
I think it must be 340 KMS :biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Nothing magic about it , its just the mass air flow sensor = mafs :biggrin:......and they cost a bloody fortune brand new
Must just be a magic, Tardis like tank you or a very light foot :icon_biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Tsk tsk, theres always one willy-waver isnt there.. :D

...I bet over on the Impreza's forums they argue over who can get the LOWEST mpg :rock:
Personal best is 9mpg in my previous WRX PPP... does that make mine the smallest? :icon_redface:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts