Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Touring manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer just quoted me CAD$ 3200,- to fix an oil leak at the cam holder.

Subaru Forester 2012
2.5L Manual Gearbox.
54000km

I was shocked how expensive this is, so have some questions:

1) Is high price justified? they said the engine had to come out for it? Is that even true? I thought cams were accessible? It's a leak, not a new engine!

2) Should I get it fixed by a non-affiliated garage for non-dealer pricing?

3) Is it normal for an engine with 54000km to already have a leak? what kind of build quality is that?

4) Is this a common Subaru Forester problem?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
Yes the engine needs to come out.
For your engine, I think the head has to come off? If not, the whole timing cover needs removed.
Cams are not easily accessible, covers, caps, cradles, and assemblies need to be removed.

Sounds like they are in the ballpark for overpriced and over estimated dealer work.

Heads do not need removed for the FB. But the timing cover, timing chain, and all timing components are pulled.

Essentially to do it, everything except the heads need to come off the engine.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Touring manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah, thanks.

Yes... I just realized.... this is a boxer engine, so the cylinder heads are not nicely on top of the engine, like an Inline or V engine.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
715 Posts
Different perspective: how many liters oil are lost in 4000 kms?
A tiny leak leaves a big enough spot on the concrete to worry us all (most of us have been there),
but it really is a trivial volume of oil that is lost.

Monitor how much oil needs to be added, with view to just adding oil as needed. Oil is cheap.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,921 Posts
@stolk -
To add to @UhOh 's comment...
You can buy a lot of oil for $3200....

An oil leak is only a problem if you run out of oil, or it ends up causing other problems, like leaking onto exhaust causing a lot of smoke.
If it's a minor leak, it may be annoying, but it doesn't mean it must be fixed.
Buy a drip pan for where you park and you won't even have a spot on the floor to remember the car years after it's gone..

If you do NEED a repair, dealers are the most expensive unless they are doing a warranty work.
Shop around for indie Subaru shops and get some quotes - It won't be cheap, but I'd be amazed if it approached the stealership price for the job.
At least get a second estimate, and determine how much of a leak your leak is leaking before you spend a lot of money on what could be an innocuous problem.
My 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts