Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on intalling a VF-39 or VF-34, STI-Intercooler,Warbro fuel pump,Custom Ecutek tune. Should I be able two reach the 300WHP? Do I possible need change the injectors also? Thanks for the advice. Jeff

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
From a tuning day (PDX at MACH V) in Northern Virginia back in November, I believe one, maybe two cars made it over 300 whp (That was not a 39F). Most came close, though. It will be close as to wether or not you make the magic 300 whp number. 285 - probably. (Also depends on the dyno...YMMV)

Do you need injectors? You like Coke or Pepsi? Ford or Chevy? It has been debated several times with no clear answer that I have seen - some say so, others, say no. Me - I am going to try that setup without the injectors, and see how it works (goal to keep injectors at less than 85% duty cycle). I suspect it will be right at 85%.

Dan at MACH V - How about a repost of those nice plots?

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
you wont hit the 300whp mark with a 39 or 34.

If you happen to get lucky and find a tuner with a high reading dyno then maybe but more than likely, no.

you're better off going slightly larger like a super 16G from deadbolt + injectors. at least that way, your turbos not maxed out trying to reach an arbitrary number.

I say arbitrary because every dyno reads different. the goal is to squeeze the most power out of the turbo while keeping it driveable at the same time. a dyno tune is only good to a certain point, the fine tuning is in the road tune.

why 300whp?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another option is a fuel pressure regulator to boost the stock fuel pressure which can work for smaller turbos like the 39, my friend boosted his from 40 to 60psi stock wrx and was fine with a bigger turbo. If you are going to do it I would get a bigger turbo than a vf39 the power enterprises 1818 is an awesome turbo with fast spooling properties and high boost they are also on ebay from time to time for half price used.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I've heard that the Momentum EJ5-40T makes around 280WHP on stock injectors ([email protected]).

Nice driveability too, at that rate. Evidently it was tuned down to 250 for the high altitude that the owner lives at, so he wouldn't experience too much "boost shock" when coming down off the mountain.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
^^^ and that's on one of the lowest reading dynos, I might add...

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
DOHCammin said:
I thought DAMWAGN hit 300 whp with a VF39 and a Ecutek tune. I'm not sure if the injectors were upgraded though.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
I thought DAMWAGN hit 300 whp with a VF39 and a Ecutek tune. I'm not sure if the injectors were upgraded though.
I think it took a lot more than a turbo swap (headers, etc) at 280-290 whp, the VF39/34 has reached its peak. plus you have no top end. its much wiser to go with a slightly larger (super 16G or 18G) and injectors to begin with. why upgrade your turbo for only 40-50 whp more than a TD04 can put out...seems like a waste of money?

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
714 Posts
Injen CAI, Downpipe, Uppipe, STi Header bank and crossoverpipe, STi TMIC,
Stock Turbo, STi CBE. I dyno'd at 226whp/240 lbtq.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
I would say to get 300 whp I would turbo back, Intake of your choice (i would go k&n or APS,ecuteck tune(thats 20 hp right there) and for Turbo I dont think any of the Vf's will do it wel... maybe the vf22 but i would go with a 20g.
I think that might do it but You also may want to add injectors and fuel pump.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Anything bigger than a small 16g or a VF3x will require injectors and a pump to support the power. 20g is overkill for 300awhp but it will get you there.

DonutKing said:
I would say to get 300 whp I would turbo back, Intake of your choice (i would go k&n or APS,ecuteck tune(thats 20 hp right there) and for Turbo I dont think any of the Vf's will do it wel... maybe the vf22 but i would go with a 20g.
I think that might do it but You also may want to add injectors and fuel pump.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
300whp?

I just talked to Richard from Dyno-comp in AZ.they just installed a VF39in a FXTat and was able make 300WHP. I decided to go with setup? I will post the results . Thanks for all the advice. Jeff

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
He actually hit 29xWHP on the dyno at MachV. He was running VF39 w/ Borla headers, full 3" catless exhaust. Yes, that was on stock injectors and I am sure they were getting maxed out. I am not sure about if he upgraded the fuel pump or what TMIC he was using. I think he also had an aftermarket shorty intake as well. I also know he kept having boost/pressure leak problems the whole time.

I am sure you could hit the 300WHP mark w/ a 39 or 34 but that would be the max of the turbo. You would need larger injectors, larger headers, full 3" catless TBE, upgraded fuel pump, larger TMIC, and of course a custom reflash. I would say a 280WHP would be better for those 2 turbos if you want higher, go w/ a larger turbo.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
DOHCammin said:

If you happen to get lucky and find a tuner with a high reading dyno then maybe but more than likely, no.

you're better off going slightly larger like a super 16G from deadbolt + injectors. at least that way, your turbos not maxed out trying to reach an arbitrary number.

I say arbitrary because every dyno reads different. the goal is to squeeze the most power out of the turbo while keeping it driveable at the same time. a dyno tune is only good to a certain point, the fine tuning is in the road tune.

why 300whp?
I beg to differ. I hit 295/299 on a 39. I could have hit the magic number with maybe one more lb of boost that day! But not boost controller spoiled the fun. This was done at the same dyno PDX used N.VA for the Duck/Gorilla! Still not sure why the dyno read so much lower that day but trust me, numbers or not, those two cars are rockets no doubt.

The bottom line is: Don't get stuck on the numbers! Line up next to an 06 Vette and watch the look on his face! Maybe not with a 39 mind you but you will/should get him off the line!

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
DAMWAGN said:
I beg to differ. I hit 295/299 on a 39. I could have hit the magic number with maybe one more lb of boost that day! But not boost controller spoiled the fun. This was done at the same dyno PDX used N.VA for the Duck/Gorilla! Still not sure why the dyno read so much lower that day but trust me, numbers or not, those two cars are rockets no doubt.

The bottom line is: Don't get stuck on the numbers! Line up next to an 06 Vette and watch the look on his face! Maybe not with a 39 mind you but you will/should get him off the line!
didnt you also have a borla header (increase in HP and drop in TQ)?

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I concur with DAMWAGN... I ended up buying his ECUTEK'd ecu...

I have sti tmic, stock intake, bosal dp, stock mid-cat, sti axleback, gfb pulleys with a vf39, and I dyno'd at 292whp and 292ft-lb.

Mind you, I had a intake leak at the time, my peak boost was only 16.5psi... I've sinced fixed the leak, and I boost close to 18psi, so I'm very sure I'm over the 300whp mark today...

DAMWAGN said:

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
dyno numbers are still aribitrary. 300whp on one dyno can be 280 on another. beside the fact that different dyno's read diff numbers, elevation, humidity, temp. are all become a factor.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
DOHCammin said:
didnt you also have a borla header (increase in HP and drop in TQ)?
Yes, I had a Borla! Even still, i was responding to the idea that you can not make 300 awhp with a 39. I honestly believe it is possible to do. That is all. I also realize that there are alot of variables as you mentioned and that can make a big difference in the long run. That is why I said not to stress about the numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Yep.. But it's fun to brag.. ;)

DOHCammin said:
dyno numbers are still aribitrary. 300whp on one dyno can be 280 on another. beside the fact that different dyno's read diff numbers, elevation, humidity, temp. are all become a factor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The magic # 300 HP. ?

OK, you all say the 2.5's in the XT's and STI's are the same, except for the IC, turbo, exhaust, ecu, ect. The ? is, How come 300 HP is so hard to obtain, when Subaru says the STI = 300 HP? So, you all do the STI mods and are coming up with #'s below the magic 300. Does Subaru publish their #'s based on "at the crank shaft HP or to the wheels HP"? Hey, forgive me I'm just trying to educate myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts