Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this sound like a good idea? Struts have 10k on them and springs have 300 miles.

$300 a good price?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Seems a little steep, but not outrageous. I feel like you could probably find something in the $175 range if you look around, but I could be wrong. Try clubwrx and i-club as well as NASIOC.

also, are you sure you want sedan springs? I thought the wagon rears were a better match (but someone else should chime in here)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These have to be shipped from the west coast, so shipping is pretty bad. I cant find anything else. I will likely put wrx wagon pinks on the struts.

Should i skip the wrx struts and just get some kyb GR-2 struts or somthing?

I thought about doing springs only, but i dont know if the handeling will be up to snuff without better struts.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
i think i paid like 150 shipped for mine but they had a little bit more miles on them, i think if i were you i would get some kyb gr-2's or even the agx's since your going to be putting pinks on it anyway, i think the little bit more money would be well spent

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I figure the cost of the install is enough that it's worth doing right the first time.

Get the springs, get the KYBs, and be happy.

if you can find a full set of low mileage STI takeoffs, that might be worth looking into as well.

I think the OEM subaru suspensions are pretty good, but that's just me. (I'm happy with stock ride height, a thicker rear sway, and some endlinks)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been searching for some 04 sti takeoffs, but it seems most 04 owners have already sold them and the ones for sale have too many miles. I thought the wrx would be a decent compromise, but if 300 is steep, then i will hold out for a better deal.

What do you think install will run? I may just do some tein h-tech springs if it gets too expensive.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
763 Posts
I still see V8 JDM STI struts or USDM STI struts on occasion with low miles. Call/email the guys from www.jdmpartstx.com I would hold out. Another option would be the Tokico D-specs. They are getting some positive reviews.

Good luck,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
there are some v8 spec c's coming in, but i know nothing about that model. I dont want anything lower than the US sti take offs.

The 2005-2006 sti suspension will not fit on the forester correct?

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
$300 is definately steep.

Get on NASIOC and hange out in one of the local forums.

I offered to take a set of springs (wagon) off of another members hands for a beer :)

Somebody else was just giving away the stock sedan suspension. WRX owners don't want this "junk" and most of the time just want the garage space back.

Only thing is most of those being given away are 02/03 model suspensions so you will have to buy new strut tops for the rears ( $100 or so)

I'm serious.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
FXT said:
These have to be shipped from the west coast, so shipping is pretty bad. I cant find anything else. I will likely put wrx wagon pinks on the struts.

Should i skip the wrx struts and just get some kyb GR-2 struts or somthing?

I thought about doing springs only, but i dont know if the handeling will be up to snuff without better struts.
I have wagon Swift (higher spring rates than wagon soft "pinks") springs on sedan GR2s and I couldn't be happier with the setup. You can't go wrong either way with the KYB GR2s or adjustable KYB AGXs. I concur what others have said here. Get what you want. I am on my third setup already and pretty much had it with suspension work.

If pocket change is an issue, you maybe better off buying a used takeoff set or suspension pieces and building it. If not, I suggest just get new parts and do it once.

If you get new springs and struts, you must also scrap for strut mounts, front and rear bump stops, rear spring seats, front and rear strut covers, front and rear seat backs, and front spacer backs. It can add up. I was lucky someone gave me most of the parts. One bump stop can run $30 brand new so you know the little things will add up. I bought my GR2s new on ebay for $225 shipped. I have seen AGXs for $400-$450 on ebay and GR2s from $200 to $300. www.subarugenuineparts.com have WRX Wagon pinks for $225.

Or, KYB direct. The guys at this warehouse are arses when it comes to customer service but you will get your goods. Many people around here buy from this warehouse.

KYB Warehouse
401 E. Arlington Ave.
Yakima Wa, 98901
509-248-5485

Or these currently enroute to the US:

Spec C V.8

http://www.jdmpartstx.com/pics/speccv8.jpg

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
FXT, I spoke too soon. The guy selling the '05 struts and bits with progress springs is willing to separate the set. I believe this was the link in your other thread.

He is local but I have never met the guy. Another local member I know said he is cool.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934994

You should jump on this and get the struts, strut mounts, bump stops, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tre36 said:
FXT, I spoke too soon. The guy selling the '05 struts and bits with progress springs is willing to separate the set. I believe this was the link in your other thread.

He is local but I have never met the guy. Another local member I know said he is cool.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934994

You should jump on this and get the struts, strut mounts, bump stops, etc.
He wants too much for them or I would have been all over it.

300 for a stock setup is not so good. I am gonna see how much those v8 spec c's are.

·
worn out cams
05 FXT
899 Posts
RussTTU said:
The 2005-2006 sti suspension will not fit on the forester correct?
Can some confirm this? And assuming the above is true, the year takeoffs I want are 2004, correct? Any camber issues with the STI takeoffs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts