Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2008 Subaru Forester Sports model. It's got almost 37,000 miles on the vehicle now. There are no dealer records of them having the vehicle serviced at an actual Subaru dealership and the Subaru website is showing me I should come in for the 30,000 maintenance work. I need an oil chance now anyways but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay the dealership to do the 30,000 miles work. Does anyone know what all this involves and how much it might run me?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,925 Posts
Any idea how much it would run?
Really you can easily do the things yourself. Mainly all of the fluid changes, air filter, cabin filter. The Plugs can go easily 50K.
Just get the things done at the dealer that you can't do yourself.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Any idea how much it would run?
My local Subaru dealer here in the greater Washington, D.C. metro area charges $590 (plus shop fees and tax) for the following 30K service:

30,000 Mile Service (also @ 30K, 60K, 90K, 120K miles) [Subaru]

Service Includes:
-Engine flush
-Change engine oil and filter
-Install MOA conditioner
-Major fuel induction service
-Brake fluid flush
-Replace fuel filter
-Replace pollen filter
-Replace engine air filter
-Rotate tires
-Lube chassis
-Inspect brakes, steering & suspension -Inspect engine belts and exhaust
-Replace spark plugs (except TURBO)
-Change manual transmission fluid

**NOTE: 4cyl is 590.00 and the 6cyl turbo890.00**

Price starting at

$590.00
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
I only have 1,100 miles so far but I better start saving for that big nut when the time comes!

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The quoted price certainly appears to be somewhat negotiable. My dealer regularly offers 10% discount coupons, and they also offer a 15% discount for service appointments on on Tues. - Fri. >3PM.

My current thinking is that I'll try to have the dealer do a subset of their 30K list:

-Engine flush -- No; I think I'll split the difference w/ Subaru and do this at ~60K miles
-Change engine oil and filter -- OK
-Install MOA conditioner -- No
-Major fuel induction service -- No
-Brake fluid flush -- OK
-Replace fuel filter -- If there is one, then change due at 60K miles (edited 3/2/2010)
-Replace pollen filter -- No, will do it myself
-Replace engine air filter -- No, will do it myself
-Rotate tires -- Maybe, maybe not, depending on if/when I buy new tires...
-Lube chassis -- OK
-Inspect brakes, steering & suspension -- OK
-Inspect engine belts and exhaust -- OK
-Replace spark plugs (except TURBO) -- OK
-Change manual transmission fluid -- OK (I can do this myself, but might be good to "get it on the record"
-ADD: Change rear diff fluid -- OK; same as above

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
14,925 Posts
My current thinking is that I'll try to have the dealer do a subset of their 30K list:
Change the rear diffential at no more than 10K
Spark plugs are a waste at 30K
There is nothing to lube on the chasis

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I'm sort of that track: I'm planning to do the first MT/F diff & R diff fluid changes myself fairly soon. The car has accumulated just over 12K miles and will be a year old (ref date of sale) in three weeks.

Probably so; but, while it's under the 3 year / 36K warranty, and the factory maintenance schedule says to change 'em...

What? How can that be? The dealer says...

:icon_wink:
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the additional information, that seems way too steep for me, especially seeing as I've done a few of these already myself recently. I think I'll just go with the oil change and the tires rotated and balanced.

·
Premium Member
14,925 Posts
What? How can that be? The dealer says...

:icon_wink:
Jim / crewzer
Exactly.........all they will do (if they do anything) is to put lube on the door locks and hood/hatch locks and hinges so they attract dirt.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
I haven't seen any cars over the past 20 years that require lubrication of the chassis other than the hinges/latches that adc pointed out. If you look under some older vehicles (circa 1950-1970), you'll see grease fittings on the suspension. A lot of repair shops still keep that on their inspection list because it looks impressive having a longer list.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,038 Posts
... Lube chassis -- OK...
I don't think there is a single zerk fitting on the chassis, suspension or drive shaft u-joints these days. The old familiar term "chassis lube" now probably means oiling the door hinges, hand brake, etc.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Thanks for the additional information, that seems way too steep for me, especially seeing as I've done a few of these already myself recently. I think I'll just go with the oil change and the tires rotated and balanced.
Just be aware that you'll need to show proof of oil changes and major maintenance in some instances for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
you can use a needle to puncture the boots that don't have grease fittings to add extra grease ... but i haven't done this since late 80's toyotas and 93 suburban ...

dealers probably wouldn't even think of doing this ... time to be honest and update (shorten) the list. :icon_confused:

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,220 Posts
Tell me about rear diff oil at 10k, please....

OK, I'm at 28k miles and am therefore looking hard at the 30k maintenance. My plan is to use the dealer for a la carte services. They will change the oil as they have been (using my stash of Tokyo Roki filters and Synpower), I will have them do the brake fluid, timing belt inspection, and plugs, and will do the filters and other inspections myself. I have a Subaru extended warranty thru 80k miles, so I feel some obligation to do the Big Stuff on an official basis.

I changed out the tires early so Discount Tire does my rotations and rebalances for free.

adc--I have obviously gone 28k on the rear diff oil that came in the car, and the 30k maintenance schedule says "inspect" at 30k, with no changes unless I'm in severe duty, in which case they do recommend 15k miles. Is there any inside knowledge why I should have the rear diff fluid changed? Does it get wet in regular use, or do the diff gears turn into powder early on?

I was perhaps thinking of changing out the manual trans lube and going with one of the "secret formula" fluid mixes that makes everything wonderful, but think I'll skip that for now...

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,220 Posts
My local Subaru dealer here in the greater Washington, D.C. metro area charges $590 (plus shop fees and tax) for the following 30K service:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
As much as I believe we should support our dealers, many of your dealer service items are NOT required and are purely like a money grab:

Service Includes:
-Engine flush--show me where Subaru or anyone recommends an engine flush and why.
-Change engine oil and filter--fine
-Install MOA conditioner--really! is this? Show me a requirement.
-Major fuel induction service--really! is this? Show me a requirement.
-Brake fluid flush--fine
-Replace fuel filter--apparently not replaceable so this is BS
-Replace pollen filter--fine
-Replace engine air filter--fine
-Rotate tires--fine
-Lube chassis--questionable per discussion
-Inspect brakes, steering & suspension -Inspect engine belts and exhaust--fine
-Replace spark plugs (except TURBO)--fine
-Change manual transmission fluid--only seems to be required under severe service.

.............so what we have here is about $100 worth of parts and a couple of hours of labor at the outside, for $600. Instead of doing a dealer's "package" of service, which often includes "special dealer recommended services" aka "money grab high profit extras", look at your maintenance manual, determine what really needs to be done, and have that done, or do parts of it yourself.

George

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
George,

I agree the list contains some questionable items. The point of my original post was to answer the OP's questions of what and how much. A subsequent post contains my assessment of my dealer's list and my "alternate plan B". :icon_wink:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 20 of 44 Posts