Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester AT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Earlier this year I bought a 2010 "certified" pre-owned Forester with 22K miles. I'm now approaching 30K miles and I'm wondering if the 30K maintenance service is necessary, seeing as the car underwent a thorough inspection to become "certified". Any thoughts? Also, about how much does the 30K mile maintenance service cost? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
So, to keep your warranty, you want to do the recommended services [per the schedule]. You can do them yourself [consult your OW for what is recommended] just keep the receipts [oil, fluids, brake pads, spark plugs, what-not]. Once you look up what is needed, call a trusted indy shop near you and ask them what they charge for those maintenance items.

You can also call your dealership and ask them what they charge.

Personally, maintenance is cheap insurance. I also have a CPO car and I did almost all of the 30k service myself, except bleed the brakes[every 2 years] which was cheap at like $50 for them to do. I was out the door for all materials and all work for about $300 for my 30k service: $170 at dealership and $120 in parts/fluids. I did three drain and fills on my trans, tho. Subaru just recommends one.

Also, there are LOTS of posts on the 30k here if you search :)

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,932 Posts
You will need to make the decision yourself about the requirement for warranty and performing the 30K service. I have never had a problem getting warranty work done without doing the required service "requirements". I maintain my vehicle and document mileage and date of engine oil change, and other things I do to the vehicle (no receipts).

The spark plug change is not necessary at 30K. But it s not a bad idea as you can see how the plugs are holding up. Also the valve cover tube gaskets tend to leak and when you pull the boots you can see if there is oil in the tubes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
It really depends on who will be doing the warranty work in the event of something happening. My dealership [and the indy shop I have gone to] both say, "sure, do the work yourself...just keep the receipts in case something major happens because [the dealer/and or Subaru] won't honor it unless you have them."

To me, that is easy, cheap insurance :)

True, spark plugs are not called for at 30k, nor was I actually suggesting them at this time....more of an in general for whatever maintenance work you do "[oil, fluids, brake pads, spark plugs, what-not]. "

Anyways, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
.just keep the receipts in case something major happens because [the dealer/and or Subaru] won't honor it unless you have them."
Well they would be in violation of the Magnuson Moss Waranty Act..

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well, let me do my math here if the dealership and or Subaru says I need a reciept to get them to honor my warranty....

keep/show receipts = free

enforcing the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act = lawyer bills

Personally, I would just keep the receipts. I would rather shove a recipt in their face than a lawyer to get them to act any day :)

I will look into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act tho...seems like something worth knowing :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well, the Act seems like a good thing for the consumer, but it is not a slam dunk:

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

Magnuson

That last part seems like it could be a point of contention if a legal argument broke out. Seems that a manufacturer could argue that the maintenance was not done leading to the damage needing repair, while the consumer could say "Prove it" to them. If it came down to a jury, they may go either way...they may say well the consumer did none of the maintenance so it is thier fault. That could be up to how good your lawyer is.

Again, in my opinion....if the dealership is telling me they will do any warranty work without hassle.....if I provide my reciepts for maintenance....seems simple enough considering I will be doing the maintenance anyways and since I have to pay for parts/materials [I am not making my own engine oil/brake pads/spark plugs/gear lube/etc myself from scatch] I will have receipts anyways :)

I admit it is a very interesting topic, adc, as there is alot at stake with warranty claims and we all want our warranties honored in case of the need arises. It is one reason we sought out cars and negotiated the CPO warranty on both of our cars.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
OP, yes you need to have the items listed on the 30,000mi service performed. The pre-certification is kinda pointless on low mileage vehicles as there's not much maintenance you do with them till the 30k mark.

That being said, you will likely find the 30k interval at the dealership to be ridiculously priced. They will charge you big bucks on the invoice for a lot of visual inspection stuff (which they may or may not actually inspect). However, there are a lot of people out there, my wife included, who wouldn't know if their alignment was off, or if their brakes were squealing, so its up to you.

IMHO, if you feel up for it, you could do research on what items need to be done and take it to a competent independent shop and have just those items performed.

Albeit I do most all of my own work, I keep all parts receipts to show that the maintenance was performed. So much easier if a warranty claim comes up.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Any thoughts?
Technically, with only 30K miles on a 2010 Forester, the "30K" service should have been done 30 months after the car was first sold (time-based maintenance schedule). For example, if the car was originally sold in March, 2010, then the 30K mile service should have been done at 30K miles or in September, 2012, whichever came first.

Do you have access to the car's maintenance history?

Check you local dealer's website for service costs. With unnecessary dealer add-ons, and depending on your location, I would expect the 30K service for your 2010 Forester fitted with the EJ25 engine to run ~$650 plus shop fees and tax.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
I admit it is a very interesting topic, adc, as there is alot at stake with warranty claims and we all want our warranties honored in case of the need arises. It is one reason we sought out cars and negotiated the CPO warranty on both of our cars.
Yea...its not for everyone. And you can do the small claims court (lawyer not required)and take the dealer, owner, and Subaru to court...which means they probably won't bother. And again..the burdonof proof is on them.

But you are right..it could be a hassle. . I am not making a strong argument for it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
~$650 plus shop fees and tax.
This was about right for my 2011. The Indy shop said $700, the dealership said about $620.

@adc, I think that it is a good thing to know about and I am glad you pointed it out about the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
i buy in bulk. bought a dozen oil filters and lots of gallons of oil over a year and a half ago.
so that would be one receipt for a dozen oil changes which doesn't prove anything about when i did the oil changes myself :eek:

i record all of my maintenance on mysubaru.com, thats it

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
paid abot 700-800 for mine from dealer, but as you know everything in Canada is more expensive the US :(

·
Registered
2010 Forester AT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all again for the help! I am not a do-it-yourself kind of gal, so will plan to take the car in for the 30K service and understand to expect a price of ~ $650 (yowza!). No, I have no access to the car's maintenance history. Still loving my Forester!

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
Still get a price from them. Again..don't do an auto tranny flush. Just a simple drain and fill, even though that it is not a complete oil changeout. Don't do a radiator flush. Have them add coolant if necessary. Don't let them do wipers. Have that done for free at Advance Auto.

Change both differential oils.

Important thing though is to get a price ahead of time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
48 Posts
Mine was about $520 without an oil change. Shop around because I was quoted around $1100 at another closer dealer.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,633 Posts
A lot of the items in the Maintenance Schedule are simply 'inspects'. They contribute to the cost, and they rarely if ever produce anything of significance. IMO, the only piece of scheduled maintenance that could be beyond the typical owner's expertise is the timing belt (and associated components), which doesn't happen till 105k miles.

It's kind of hard to tell where you live as the Sonoran Desert does, in the eyes of the geographers, run from Mexico up into British Columbia. But if you could open up a bit more as to your exact location, you might find some friendly members here who would be glad to help you through the learning curve of the basic maintenance items.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,682 Posts
Mine was about $520 without an oil change. Shop around because I was quoted around $1100 at another closer dealer.
Sounds like the pricier dealer had a ton of add-ons.

It's always cheaper to tell the dealer you want the minimum recommended maintenance instead of the dealer's "30,000 mile service".

-Dennis

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2014 Limited CVT
18 Posts
From the dealer in Texas the 30K "Major Service One" is $699.
(You are actually at your 45 month service which is just an oil/filter change.)

30K Major Service One includes:

Replace engine oil and filter
rotate/balance/pressure tires
Inspect brakes, brake system and parking break and Flush brake fluid system
Check front and rear axel boots and axle shaft condition
inspect clutch operation
inspect steering and suspension
replace air filter
replace cabin air filter
Replace spark plugs (non turbo)
inspect fuel system lines and connections
flush automatic transmission system
flush front and rear differentials
inspect belt drives
inspect camshaft drive belt
check and top off all fluids
complete multi point inspection
free car wash

Some of the items are not required in the Warranty Maintenance book.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts