Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Editorial Content
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Technician Paul Kennaley witnesses something frightening almost every week: customers who ignore warning lights in their vehicle instrument cluster but fail to take proper (if any) action. Frequently, this results in expensive problems.

'These lights are there for a reason,' Kennaley says. 'Most drivers notice them when they appear and act on them right away. The CHECK ENGINE light is probably the most common, and most drivers seem to understand the importance of at least checking to see what the light means, and they take action from there.'
Read more about the 3 Warning Lights That Mean ‘Stop Driving RIGHT NOW’ at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
Stop driving right now? And walk home? At midnight in a dicey neighborhood...
Not sure that's great advice.
Don't ignore the warnings is probably a better way to state it, and it varies by what indicator it is...
My take is:
- low oil level light - drive to the nearest auto parts store and buy some oil and put it in
- oil pressure light - "turn off the key" IMMEDIATELY after stopping and call a tow truck or your engine will soon be toast, if it isn't already
- Check engine soon - Hook up a OBDC reader and see what's going on
Note: It will also light up if you forgot to put your gas cap on and started the car so, not a don't drive it situation in all cases

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 Speed
118 Posts
Routine maintenance could address a lot of those issues. The challenge is getting people to do it.

A driver who never opens the hood to check fluid levels & condition of the belts, checks the tires for correct pressure, or whether the lights are working is asking to encounter critical conditions. Drivers that take the time to know their vehicles can usually tell when something needs attention sooner than those that don't.

The bottom line is not to overlook routine maintenance. Treat your vehicle like you and your family's life depends on it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,836 Posts
Stop driving right now? And walk home? At midnight in a dicey neighborhood...
Not sure that's great advice.
Don't ignore the warnings is probably a better way to state it, and it varies by what indicator it is...
My take is:
- low oil level light - drive to the nearest auto parts store and buy some oil and put it in
- oil pressure light - "turn off the key" IMMEDIATELY after stopping and call a tow truck or your engine will soon be toast, if it isn't already
- Check engine soon - Hook up a OBDC reader and see what's going on
Note: It will also light up if you forgot to put your gas cap on and started the car so, not a don't drive it situation in all cases
Naw, not only should you stop the car, but you need to throw away the keys and set it on fire... You know, for good measure.

I hate these type of myopic and idiotic articles that are cross posted.

By the way, good reply!!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem Manual 5 speed
24 Posts
If you carry spare oil and other "essentials" in your vehicle, you often won't need to locate a parts store when you find yourself in need. I learned this young because I bought cheap junkers for a while after I started driving, but it also served me well recently when my EJ253 head gaskets started seeping oil and my first indication was a flickering oil light during hard cornering. Carrying extra fluids also means you can use the brands you're familiar with and not get stuck buying "Brand X" from the 24 hour Quickie Mart at 2AM for three times an appropriate price.
Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
Metalhead Jon -
Great point and a well spent 2 cents. The Forester has a nice place to keep some spare oil and antifreeze in the spare tire well.
I keep supplies at home myself and bring along items on long trips... but then I also do my own maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts