Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester Premier
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. . . .

So, I just ordered a Subaru Forester. The dealership treated me very well, and I got a good buy. Because I wanted a color and trim option they didn't have in stock, the vehicle is on-order from Japan or wherever.

During the transaction, I was informed I'd have to wait 60-90 days for arrival. This was due, evidently, to a global shortage of a particular variety of microchip that controls most of the electronics in the car.

I don't mind the wait, since I have reliable transportation. But has anyone on this board heard of this problem? If so, can I get some information about it?

TRB

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
48 Posts
The chip issue is worldwide. Many of the Big 3's plants in the US and Canada are currently on 2-3 week (or more) shutdowns because of it.

Even in the best of circumstances, it generally takes about a month between the time the car arrives in Kobe or Yokohama for shipment and arrival in the US. A little more if it's going to an east coast port.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yep.... The chip shortage was to start affecting output now (April - May) but it's a fluid issue that could get worse or better week to week.

If that wasn't enough, there was also a global shortage of shipping containers apparently affecting Subaru's forecast and output.

Reactions: jmw15

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.51 Tourin
87 Posts
When I bought my 2017 in Sept. 2016, my salesperson said it would be about a 90 day wait to get it & there were no production issues at that time (that I knew of). I wanted the (then) new color Sepia Bronze Metallic w/Saddle Brown leather seats & there were none to be had anywhere in the US that was unspoken for, so I had to order it. I took delivery in mid. December, so it was pretty close to 90 days by the time it got here.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (54k miles 5/2021)
66 Posts
Shipping is definitely delayed. When I was working (boat captain) I saw about 35 container ships parked off LA. Some ships carry as many as 20,000 containers, so that’s potentially a half million containers just waiting to get through the bottleneck at the port. So, I would definitely expect anything being shipped from overseas to experience significant delays

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before we bought our '21 Forester, we drove several other brand SUV's. One we liked but no local dealers had one with a moonroof. When we asked about ordering one (it's built in So Korea), we were told 3-4 months. It didn't matter... we liked the Forester better anyway. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
164 Posts
Because Forester is one of the Subaru models not manufactured here in the US and they come on ocean going ships, the lead time can be. a little longer for a factory order even under "normal" circumstances. Combine that with current shipping delays at sea ports and with ground transportation beyond that and with the very real global chip shortage, there is a real challenge. But a factory order is very worth it to get exactly what you want. I buy most vehicles that way for that specific reason. Ironically, the MY20 Forester Limited that Professor Dr. SWMBO drives didn't have to be ordered as on the day we went to buy;order, our local dealer actually had three in exactly the configuration including colors we wanted.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
508 Posts
Had to wait for my 2014 and my 2020. Since I had the VIN numbers I could track it through my dealer's website.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
602 Posts
12 weeks sounds like a normal estimate. Back when I ordered my 2018 XT, they said 8-12 weeks to arrive but it came in 8. But now with shipping issues and a chip shortage, it may be closer to 12 weeks.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
554 Posts
If you can stand a really obnoxious humble-brag about elite first-world suffering, when we did EU-delivery of a new car in 2014 (not a Subaru of course), we had to finalize our order at our US dealer in late March including deposit, pay full price in cash including tax and license PLUS additional ~20% EU VAT tax by late May, for a car that did not arrive here at the US dealer until Labor Day weekend. (We did have it 2 weeks in late July in Europe, of course). Our 90-day "free" period of Sirius XM radio was entirely over with before the car ever entered the US, thus useless, and Sirius's pesky phone solicitors never could fix the problem. We did get the VAT refunded, but that doesn't happen until after it's been documented that the car has left the EU. Still though, the best new car experience I've ever had :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because Forester is one of the Subaru models not manufactured here in the US and they come on ocean going ships, the lead time can be. a little longer for a factory order even under "normal" circumstances. Combine that with current shipping delays at sea ports and with ground transportation beyond that and with the very real global chip shortage, there is a real challenge. But a factory order is very worth it to get exactly what you want. I buy most vehicles that way for that specific reason. Ironically, the MY20 Forester Limited that Professor Dr. SWMBO drives didn't have to be ordered as on the day we went to buy;order, our local dealer actually had three in exactly the configuration including colors we wanted.
Good info, thanks. But it seems now that I could experience an even longer wait than predicted. <sigh>:cry:

·
Registered
2015 Forester
145 Posts
There is a chip shortage affecting all industries. Also, shipping is backed up due to lots of orders of consumer goods.
Even when things are going well, the company I worked for figured about 30 days on the water. Shipping from the dock is additional. Inspections can also add time. That hasn't even figured in any time to build it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,311 Posts
I piloted and docked the car carrier my friends new BMW was on just last week.
You guys are right, it is approximately a 30 trip from Japan to the east coast. Less west coast.
Autos are not loaded in containers for shipping, however inbound parts for the factories to build them are.
A car carrier will hold 4-6,000 cars on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback
56 Posts
I heard about the chip shortage, but my experience ordering my Forester suggests that the wait time quoted is VERY conservative. When I ordered my Forester, I was told it would take 90 days. Instead, it was delivered to me in less than 6 weeks. Foresters arrive on the west coast from Japan and are kept there to fulfil orders. When an order is placed, the desired color and trim level are located at the port and then any "port installed" options are added. So, it unlikely that your Forester needs to be build to order in Japan.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,311 Posts
Foresters arrive on the west coast from Japan and are kept there to fulfil orders. When an order is placed, the desired color and trim level are located at the port and then any "port installed" options are added.
Both west and east coasts in multiple ports.
This is the company that preps and installs options in the port before dealer delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester Touring
19 Posts
I was informed I'd have to wait 60-90 days for arrival. This was due, evidently, to a global shortage of a particular variety of microchip that controls most of the electronics in the car.

I don't mind the wait, since I have reliable transportation. But has anyone on this board heard of this problem? If so, can I get some information about it?
I ordered mine late last August, and took delivery on Halloween, and that was before anyone was talking about a chip shortage (which is real, along with the new rubber shortage).

YMMV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts