Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running this gauge setup for a while now and I thought I would post it up. I designed and prototyped one piece that fits perfectly with the OEM housing...

Here are some before pictures...

Then of course painted and installed...

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Did you print that on a Dimension? Looks awfully similar to the rapid prototyping "tool" marks that our Dimension leaves.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you print that on a Dimension? Looks awfully similar to the rapid prototyping "tool" marks that our Dimension leaves.
It's a SLA. I looked at a Dimension a few years ago. The machine that made these is nicer and has higher resolution, but yes, same concept as a 3d printer...

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
I thought you could buy that top single din piece through Subaru?

Here is one from SuperRu:

Here is another one I found (maestro):

And a few more...

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,861 Posts
^^^

Top single din can be purchase through Subaru but as a set with the OEM gauges. IIRC, the OEM gauges are 46mm or 48mm. SuperRu, Maestro, myself and others have custom made single din plates to house 52mm gauges.

Pics 3 and 4 is OEM.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
^^^

Top single din can be purchase through Subaru but as a set with the OEM gauges. IIRC, the OEM gauges are 46mm or 48mm. SuperRu, Maestro, myself and others have custom made single din plates to house 52mm gauges.

Pics 3 and 4 is OEM.
Oh ok. Thanks for the info.

Do most guys run 52mm's or 60mm's up there?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ok. Thanks for the info.

Do most guys run 52mm's or 60mm's up there?
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more specific. This is for 52mm gauges, and the stockers are far smaller than that. I wanted to be able to use standard 52mm without restriction, so the best option was to custom make the gauge holder.

There is barely enough room in the OEM housing for 52's. The way I did it, you still have to file/trim the housing a bit to make them fit. But its the most robust "bolt-on" solution I could design.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more specific. This is for 52mm gauges, and the stockers are far smaller than that. I wanted to be able to use standard 52mm without restriction, so the best option was to custom make the gauge holder.

There is barely enough room in the OEM housing for 52's. The way I did it, you still have to file/trim the housing a bit to make them fit. But its the most robust "bolt-on" solution I could design.
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification. Looks good.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
When you buy the doubledin housing from Subaru it comes with the clock pod.You just swap over the clock from the factory bezal/pocket.

joe r

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,902 Posts
I thought I'd mention this setup will only work on the '03-'06 Forester. The the clock was redesigned in '07 when the passenger airbag monitor was incorporated into the clock, so it will not fit the clock frame that comes with the double DIN POD. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
I thought I'd mention this setup will only work on the '03-'06 Forester. The the clock was redesigned in '07 when the passenger airbag monitor was incorporated into the clock, so it will not fit the clock frame that comes with the double DIN POD. :smile:

Bobby...
Hmm...so do I have to get an 03-06 clock? Or should I somehow come up with a panel that accepts the 06-08 clocks and the (3) 52mm gauges?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts