Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the roof rack world but as snowboarding season is rapidly approaching, I always have a lot of friends who want to go and want my car to make the trip, because it is a Subaru!

I have 3 choices I am looking at.

Forester Ski Snowboard Rack System 98-2010,
Yakima FatCat 4,
Yakima FatCat 6

I have some general questions for all 3 because I couldnt find necessary information in there specs, do these all lock? I dont want to drive up to a mountain or parking lot somewhere, leave the car with these onmy snowboards locked in, then come back and they are gone!

does the FatCat 6 (which can hold up to 4 snowboards, a BIG +) extend over the sides of my fxt 06? I dont want something making my car wider, I'm comfortable with its current width.

anyone want to bash any of these? I know the good but its also good to know the bad.

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks everyone,
Rory

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Yakima will lock.

According to the Yakima site the fat cat 6 should stay within the rails (give or take a couple of inches. You will not hit your head because they fit on a 48" bar.

I have all Yakima stuff. Pricy but worth the money. Very versatile.

·
Registered
1999 subaru forester s
218 Posts
i have the fat cat 6 i like it a lot it dosnt go over the sides they do lock but u need to by the locks they dont come with them and its about $30 more but a nice thing to have , and it fits 4 wide boards too

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, good news, they now come with locks, I just checked on Yakima and it says FatCat 6 (with locks) - $209

·
Registered
1999 subaru forester s
218 Posts
nice i dint buy the locks at first and used my pockit lock i use on the slops but last year i found locks at rei that were used for $10 so now i have them

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think im going with the FatCat 6, I will post picks in December when I get it, thanks for the help guys, I would give rep, but whatever happened to it???

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
I had the Fatcat 6 for a few weeks. It fits the roof nicely, and it's a great system.
Two problems:
1. With 4 boards on the bindings still make contact with the roof with them tilted. Not good.
2. Rust. Any outside carrier will allow road salt and debris to hit your equipment causing rust, dirt build-up and all sorts of grime stains on your gear. Not good.

Anyone who rides often will tell you, get a box. I upgraded to the skybox 16s and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
1 Posts
I have the FatCat6, it is a great rack but I agree that a roof box is well worth the extra money. FatCat works fine for me with the yakima cross bars; I have just a small amount of touch with the bindings on and the rack not tilted.

Spend the extra money and get a box. I end up taking the bindings off for any long trips to avoid the salt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got the yakima powderhound and am happy with it. It came with locks.
Same here, I got the big one (4 board / 6 skis). They have a $20 mail in rebate right now at REI. It was almost cheaper to do that than get a used one from Craigslist since they don't always have locks (and the locks are expensive).

Even with raising one side I think I could only fit one snowboard upside down (if it's a smaller snowboard). Luckily I usually only carry 2 boards at most and the rest skis.

I found that with the rack on (and even with skis in) that I don't notice an increase in noise (probably because of the noisy stock '09 tires). However, it literally takes 2 minutes to take the OEM crossbars on and off so I just do that.

I think the only advantage of the fatcats is the slimmer profile, which in my case wouldn't make any difference since I don't drive daily with the rack on. The powderhound is like $50 cheaper.

I don't have a problem with rust in Washington since the snowy portion of the road is typically very short, and they don't tend to use a ton of salt. Plus it's always raining on the way back so it cleans everything off.

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up going with the fat cat, I wont be able to use it till after the holidays, so I will keep u guys posted on how it does during trips to mountains and such, thanks again guys

·
Registered
2010 Premium
18 Posts
Thule pull top 6, comes with locks and pulls to the side of the car so you don't have to climb on top, I have one it's grrrreeaaat...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts