Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my tranny oil. It's due anyway but the main reason is that I'm thinking of using the oil with higher viscosity to fix or lessen the problem with my 3rd to 4th gear synchro. The problem is that when the rpms are higher than 4.5-5K then the gears are crunching while switching - I get it as the synchronizer doesn't have enough time to match input and output shafts speed. I know that people that switch to oil with lower viscosity/synthetic oil some times start getting this problem, so I though maybe I could temporarily reduce this problem by using an oil with higher viscosity. So, keeping in mind said above what tranny oil would you guys suggest using?

Well, in the mean time I'm beginning to look at available 5MT gearsets. What gearsets would fit? Is there anything in particular that I need to pay attention to while shopping for a new gearset? Do gearsets usually come with synchronizers? Do they usually come with a rear gear? Please share any info you have on this topic, it will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

D

·
0 Posts
Gearbox oil

I was thinking of changing my gearoil for better gearchange, especially from cold, think a higher viscosity oil would aggravate this problem, so would be interested to know how you got on. Have also read that some oils can be to slippery for the syncros to bit, at present I'm using a part synthetic EP 75w/90 GL5 oil.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Aleksey,

Talk to Andrew at AndrewTech...some of the best trannies for cheap...you want the straight cut ppg gears...they can handle the power.:wink: Oh, and throw some Redline lightweight shockproof (blue bottle) in there (that is what I use and recommend)...andrew says to mix it w/ .5 quart of reg syn tranny oil for best effects due to the lightweight lumping up.

Oh here is a little discription:

The following business is in Maryland, just over the bridge from NOVA. However, this guy attracts a lot of NOVA clientele because of the great work he does. So I am putting him here. I highly recommend this guy for anyone who wants any type of work done on a Subaru.

Business Name: Andrewtech Automotive Solutions
Full Street Address(Street, City, State, Zip): 7615-E Rickenbacker Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20879
Business Phone Number: (240) 683-1000
Short Description of Services: This man is highly sought after by Subaru drivers in both the USA and Canada. This man can and will do ANY type of work on any Subaru models. The man is honest, meticulous, and does damn good work.
Optional Contact Person Name: Andrew Yates (username is Andrewtech on NASIOC)
Optional Contact Person E-mail: [email protected]
Optional Website Address: http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SirWilliams, thanks a lot, I'll definitelly check that place out.

So, can anyone clarify on my theory regarding a higher viscosity oil - will it help synchronizers to do their work?

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Aleksey said:
SirWilliams, thanks a lot, I'll definitelly check that place out.

So, can anyone clarify on my theory regarding a higher viscosity oil - will it help synchronizers to do their work?
I am telling you just email him or send him a PM over at nabisco...he will answer any questions you have pretty quick.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I have a friend (who knows his stuff) who was shop manager at Paul Bros Subaru...he is now going to be working at AndrewTech. That makes them even better in my book.:wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Swepco Gear Oil!
The guys in the Porsche club, love this stuff. It is rummored to fix a lot of sycnro issues. I changed my 88' 911 to this stuff and it did seem to shift better from cold to hot. Should work in a Subie tranny too.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sirwilliam said:
I have a friend (who knows his stuff) who was shop manager at Paul Bros Subaru...he is now going to be working at AndrewTech. That makes them even better in my book.:wink:
They guy never replied :-( I sent him both an email and a PM at NASIOC.

·
Registered
859 Posts
How about calling them on the phone. Most mechanics/shops aren't computer geeks first who answer their email/PM.

Frank

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sirwilliam said:
Aleksey,
Talk to Andrew at AndrewTech...some of the best trannies for cheap...you want the straight cut ppg gears...they can handle the power.:wink: Oh, and throw some Redline lightweight shockproof (blue bottle) in there (that is what I use and recommend)...andrew says to mix it w/ .5 quart of reg syn tranny oil for best effects due to the lightweight lumping up.
How many quarts do I need total? I could probably find it in ubaru manual, but since you already did i you must know :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts