Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS w/Premium Package and 5MT tranny
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever put 235/55 tires on stock 2003-2005 Forester 16-inch wheels? Specifically, the 03/04 Forester XS wheels (16x6.5 +48 offset)?

If so, did they fit without rubbing the struts or wheel wells?

I'm considering switching from the Michelin Defenders currently on my Forester to some tire option from the Ultra High Performance all-season category.

However, I'm uncertain whether or not 235/55 R16 tires would fit without rubbing issues.

Any info y'all have about this tire size will be greatly appreciated!

Caleb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
@Caleb1534 your stock tire/wheel is 215/60-16, so per Rims-n-Tires calculator, that should fit.

When we installed 235/50-17 tires on my son's '03 X, our trusted tire guy said the 17x7"... the 7" width was the minimum size for that 235 tire. I'd check to see if 6.5" wheel width is acceptable for the tire brand you're looking at. :confused:

If it was me, I'd go with 225 tires. They're plenty wide & the fit wouldn't be an issue. The next time we replaced the tires on my son's '03 X, we're going with 225 tires. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
@SubyForester03XS sounds like you're going for a lifted off road stance. With the aforementioned tire & wheel combination... as I see it, no experience, the inward clearance would be the same, whereas the outward clearance would increase, as the fender lip will be up higher with the lift kit.

As to tires size, that would depend on the offset. I see some off roaders move their wheels outward with a lower wheel offset. That moves the tires outward, away from the suspension.

Of course running taller tires will give a speedometer error, reduce your gas mileage & a lower wheel offset will stress the wheel bearings.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
@SubyForester03XS what's the offset on those wheels? Your stock offset is +48. A larger offset number places the tires closer to the suspension & a lower offset number moves the tires closer to the fender.

On my son's '03 X, the XXR wheels are +40 offset, placing the 235/50-17x7" tires flush with the fenders. When the tires are replaced, we're going change to 225/50-17.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
@SubyForester03XS okay, you've moved your tires inward, towards the suspension, by 7 mm with the +55 offset wheels.

I suggest finding a tire shop that will work with you to see what will fit. Keep in mind, tires taller than the stock will throw off your speedometer reading, could affect your gas mileage & reduce your acceleration performance.

Bobby...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the widest tire that y'all have been able to fit without rubbing issues (and without wheel spacers) on Subaru 17 or 18-inch wheels on a 2004 or 2005 Forester XT?

I ask because I may be purchasing a friend's 2005 XT in Spring 2019. And I certainly want to put wheels and tires on it that will handle our curvy roads in South Carolina's Upstate with ease. My first Forester (Sylvia) was a 2004 X with 225/50 Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires on 18-inch (18x7 +55 offset) wheels from the 2008 Legacy 3.0R. She was VERY fun to drive on curvy, mountainous roads...

I saw that there's a thread that should answer the question I have about tire fitment (https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tire-size-wheel-size-offset-etc-log-will-fit-11836/), but I really didn't want to dig through that thread if I could get a direct answer from one or more forum members.

Thank y'all so much for any help or advice that you can offer me on this topic!

Caleb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts