Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this?

Just calculating speedo changes with diff tire sizes and it seems that 235/55/16 are the closest to stock.

Now the question is will they fit on the rims and will they rub if I lower 1 inch with FSti springs.

Also, I think I read somewhere here that our speedos are off from the factory. Is that true? If so, what would be the best tire size to go with on the stock 16's.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
It will fit on the wheel okay. That is the stock size tire on the same size wheel from some other manufacturers. Not sure about strut clearance though. As you get responses on that, keep in mind that the struts have changed over the years, so clearance on another model year, may not mean it will work on your '03

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was thinking about the same combination on a 2006 XT but the listing of tires on Tire Rack is pretty slim. 225/55r16 seems to have a better selection of tires, both performance and all season.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
OK, resurrecting this old thread. So has anyone actually ran a 235/55/16 on the stock XT rims (16" x 6.5") on an SF? Rubbing? Is it risky (note thread below) and does it even gain anything over a 225/60/16?

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4679&highlight=235/55/16

I was considering since one of the tires I'm looking at comes in this size and I've always loved little wider tire.

EDIT: comparing the 225 to the 235, it's .6" wider section width. And FYI, I throw it HARD into turns to induce a little oversteer. Needless to say, wore out the shoulders on the Geosquelers in no time. Don't want to roll a tire off a rim :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Bumpidy! Thinking about some 235s!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
I don't know about the 235s, but I run 225/55r16s, and I see evidence of rubbing on the rear struts. It's very light, and when the car is stationary, there is about 1cm between the tire and where it appears to be contacting. It probably only does it when I throw the rear end around really hard.

·
Registered
01 Forester Ltd
1,078 Posts
Bumpidy! Thinking about some 235s!
I have 235/60/16 on subaru aluminum rims and it is so close to rubbing ,but hasn,t yet, except maybe in front turning sharp and hitting a fair bump i think i have heard it rub a couple of times nothing serious , they are the Nokian i3 h rated all season, rated 60,k miles, the quietest tires i have ever had. They have the wear marks in millmeters on each tire and the numbers change to let you know how much tread is left.:huh:

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
That's interesting to know...like the number is embedded in the rubber and changes as the rubber gets to a lower level?

guroove, thanks for the info. I think I've read there's less room in the newer model like yours, maybe not so much a problem in the SF (like tech mod and me)-but I'm not sure. Tech Mod, how hard do you push them when you rub? I push it super hard into turns (induce oversteer) so I might end up with TOO much rubbing if you get it without pushing real hard.

Again, I like the idea of the 235, but I want to make sure I'm not going to rip it off the rim or scrub over every bump. :)

EDIT: just did some measuring. My index knuckle will *barely* fit between the rear sidewall and strut, and it measures .6" with my micrometer. The difference between 215 and 235 is .6", so half that would be .3" and should leave .3" clearance in the rear! I may go play with the front measurements...of course, this isn't nearly as useful as experienced observations!

·
Registered
01 Forester Ltd
1,078 Posts
P.C...13 yaa the treadwear # is in the center rib, As for the rubbing is ONLY in the front when you have the steering cranked to the left or right and you hit a fair size bump while cranked , you can turn as hard as you like and they don't rub this is my 2nd forester that i have had this size on. I believe they are 27.2 inches tall and change the gear ratio slightly.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
You know, I just caught you're running a 60 series, larger than the 55 series I'm talking about. In a 235/55/16, it's only .1" higher more than stock 215/60...just much wider!

Can you post any pics?

I'll probably purchase through a local tire company so I can take them back if they do rub!

·
Registered
01 Forester Ltd
1,078 Posts
You know, I just caught you're running a 60 series, larger than the 55 series I'm talking about. In a 235/55/16, it's only .1" higher more than stock 215/60...just much wider!

I'll probably purchase through a local tire company so I can take them back if they do rub!
I don't that they will rub even if they look like they will ,as with mind i went out in the parking lot and did a bunch of figure 8s right after the tire dude thought they would , i have had them on my last 2 Foresters.:icon_wink:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
Anyone done this?

Just calculating speedo changes with diff tire sizes and it seems that 235/55/16 are the closest to stock.

Now the question is will they fit on the rims and will they rub if I lower 1 inch with FSti springs.

Also, I think I read somewhere here that our speedos are off from the factory. Is that true? If so, what would be the best tire size to go with on the stock 16's.

thanks
On MY03 I'm running 225/55-16 on Motegi 16"x7" (+42 offset) alloy chrome wheels with no problems. I suspect going with 235/55-16 would have works as well. What I would be concerned with is the 16"x6.5" OEM wheel (I'm assuming that's what you're running). Going with a wider thread may may cause the thread to round & not lay flat on the road. This may be something to run past your trusted tire person. I deal with my local Les Schwab Tire Center & usually with the same person. I know if something is not right, he'll make it right, even years later!

I'm in the process of upgrading to 235/50-17 on Motegi 17"x7" (+40 offset) alloy chrome wheels. This combination gets me pretty close to the OEM tire diameter, so the speedometer will be off less than +.4 MPH at 60 MPH.
The old 16" wheels will be fitted with my winter tires (I can't wait!).

I haven't lowered MY03 & really don't plan on doing that, since I'm happy with the way it looks & rides.

Bobby...

·
Registered
96 XT A/T
26 Posts
No but..

falken ziek 912 225/55/16 fit perfectly. Its scary how much they improve the ride.. Look for good pricing and tires places willling to deal.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
I don't like the idea of fitting 235's on a 6.5" wheel, even if it doesn't rub. Especially if you toss it.
I'm on 225/55/16 on the stoker wheels and they already flex a lot. Every manufacturer that I have seen has a recommended wheel width for that size tire of 7"+.
If you really want to have at it, look into spacers to solve the rubbing issue.
Just remember that numbers aren't everything. You can get a 235 tire that will not handle as well as a 215. Sidewall stiffness, material composition, and many other factors combine to give a proper handling tire. Of course, all things being equal the wider tire would have more contact patch resulting in better grip.
Personally, I would go with a high quality tire in a tried and true 225 size (if you're staying on the stock wheel) and be happy with it.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
I don't like the idea of fitting 235's on a 6.5" wheel, even if it doesn't rub. Especially if you toss it.
I'm on 225/55/16 on the stoker wheels and they already flex a lot. Every manufacturer that I have seen has a recommended wheel width for that size tire of 7"+.
If you really want to have at it, look into spacers to solve the rubbing issue.
Just remember that numbers aren't everything. You can get a 235 tire that will not handle as well as a 215. Sidewall stiffness, material composition, and many other factors combine to give a proper handling tire. Of course, all things being equal the wider tire would have more contact patch resulting in better grip.
Personally, I would go with a high quality tire in a tried and true 225 size (if you're staying on the stock wheel) and be happy with it.
I agree. At 6.5" wheel width and 235mm on the tires, you are at 70% tire to wheel ratio. I have always tried to stay at about 75-80% for handling and wheel protection (I like the tire to stick outside the wheel a bit in case I'm being stupid and curb). That makes going to a 225mm about as large as you would want to go.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I think I will go with 225 since it is the stock 6.5" wheel and I toss it hard. Now I just have to figure out which tire to go with for sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts