Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going slightly larger on the tires for my 2009 from the stock 225/55/17 to 225/60/17. A search of the forum suggests that only a few people have done this - has anyone else done it for all-season tires? What are your experiences? :icon_question:

I'm a little concerned, because I also have low profile chains, and I imagine that the fit in the wheel well would be even tighter with the larger tires.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
With the stock size there little room in the wheel well and that's even smaller. Now you want to add chains.
Do a search on chains to get all the info.
IMO I do not think it would be possible to ip the tire size and then add chains. Low profile or not.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
you could always just get a smaller wheel. though it might cost you more money if having a wider side wall is what you are going for. and i thought subarus wern't supposed to have chains only cables

·
Registered
2010 FXT slush-box
663 Posts
225/60R17 Blizzaks

I know, reviving an old thread,

But this size fits the SH so well, probably should have been stock. And even though it only lifts the car 1/2", it feels like more standing beside it.....

And for once my timing was good. I just got the Blizzak WS-80's on a day prior to the snow hitting west MI. I'm loving these tires after last winter on the stock geolanders.

And with the Blizzaks and a Forester, do you really need low profile snow chains?

Jeff

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
837 Posts
I know, reviving an old thread,

But this size fits the SH so well, probably should have been stock. And even though it only lifts the car 1/2", it feels like more standing beside it.....

And for once my timing was good. I just got the Blizzak WS-80's on a day prior to the snow hitting west MI. I'm loving these tires after last winter on the stock geolanders.

And with the Blizzaks and a Forester, do you really need low profile snow chains?

Jeff
Regarding the use of chains with the Blizzaks, I'd say that would be the definition of the term overkill. I upsized to a 60 series tire with my SH as well and enjoyed the extra sidewall/height advantage, not to mention the lower profile stock Geolanders sitting in that cavernous wheel well bugged the hell out of me. Score on the timing of your WS-80's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts