Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm most likely going to buy a set of lightweight 16 inch wheels...probably 16x7. i want to get a meaty tire that fills up the wheel well nicely. i was thinking 225/60/16 would look really good but im wondering if its too big? not only for fitment but will it throw the speedometer horribly off? i have a 2006 forester on 2004 sti suspension.

i currently have 17x7 legacy GT wheels with 225/50/17 tires and i really like the way they look so i'd like to try and maintain a similar wheel-well filling look with the 16s.

also, will such a large sidewall affect handling? i am looking at aggressive performance tires only.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
My inlaws run 225/60/16 winter and summer tires on an 03 XS. As long as the rim is close to +48 there are no issues. A 225 will rub the strut with +55 Impreza wheels though.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good. how off will be speedo be? if its +/- 2mph at 60mph i can live with that, but anything more i would probably have to reconsider.

these are the wheels im really set on:

16x7...affordable lightweight wheels and they are different...being that they aren't rota's. konig britelites... 15 pounds a piece in 16x7 and currently available on discounttire for 410 shipped for a set of 4.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
I also run these in the winter, and the speedometer is closer to what it should be according to my GPS.

With the factory 215/60/16, when the speedometer reads 70, I'm really doing 65.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I also run these in the winter, and the speedometer is closer to what it should be according to my GPS.

With the factory 215/60/16, when the speedometer reads 70, I'm really doing 65.
That seems true for me too, I run 215/65/16 at2 grabbers for summer tires and it seems to be more accurate then normal size tires.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
a 60 series tire will be mushy and unresponsive, and really will have NO performance to it whatsoever. if you want performance, 45-50 series is where you wanna be...

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
well those will look like crap on a 16. there has to be a happy medium...
i edited my first post, forgot these were for 16s. i still say a 60 is too soft, a 50 should be perfect, but i wouldnt go larger than that, youll start to negate handling aspects.

225/50/16(120ish each) dunlop star specs = auto-x heaven for you.

there really isnt a happy medium, its either handles good or doesnt...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i edited my first post, forgot these were for 16s. i still say a 60 is too soft, a 50 should be perfect, but i wouldnt go larger than that, youll start to negate handling aspects.

225/50/16 dunlop star specs = auto-x heaven for you.
thanks, that should look pretty solid. discounttire has azenis on sale right now though...80 dollar rebate. hmmm...

also, i have sti takeoffs, so i think im gonna finally get some stiffer springs, probably RCE yellows. with that drop, a 225/50 should be plenty.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
the azenis are a great tire, but not @ the same grip lvl as the dunlops. youll be happy w/ them though, especially w/ the rebate!

i love rce products, i run and recommend highly the RCE BLACKs and they are absolutely perfect. the yellows lower the car a little more and are a tad bit stiffer. which isnt a bad thing! but might ride a little bouncy on our terrible roads. i find the blacks to be a perfect compromise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts