Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really!? :huh:

my vehicle registration renewal notice for our subbie just came in the mail and i thought it was going to be cheaper in comparison to my 13 year old merc suv but nooo... it totaled to $222!! The merc only cost $83 and it pollutes the air like it runs on mustard gas.

here's the darn fee chart:

anybody here paying the same outrageous fees to be able to drive in one of the roughest and congested roads in America?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,098 Posts
:huh: wow you guys get screwed cost me a grand total of $36.00 to renew mine last week

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:huh: wow you guys get screwed cost me a grand total of 36.00 to renew mine last week
i got a real shock with the $83 since I'm used to paying $40 or less back home in virginia but $200 is waaay irrational. I'd gladly pay that amount if i see where the money is actually going like if the beltway is asphalt and not ribbed concrete and choppy to drive on or if the roads are actually clean and free of trash or if the road signs are well lit, not covered by some foliage or gang scribbles or even at least legible. it's really disappointing :crazy:

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
Yep, Nevada and California are expensive, i know they go by percentage of the value of your car, i own an 03XS and paid $173 for renewal ... but hey, don't you like the weather , the people here ... west coast is better and Cali is the best :biggrin:

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, i looked around and i think Arizona pays this much too.

its too hot and dusty for me here (i'm at the southern part) and my electricity bill and vacuum can concur. :biggrin:

i find that people are more professional and relaxed over at the east coast, which is my preference in regard to general population behavior but then again it is what i prefer and not a general consensus for all who lived there.

i do like the fact that there are numerous junk yards everywhere you go though :smile:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Welcome to California. They raised registration fees last year in an effort to stop the state's hemorrhaging.

Sticker Shock: California Vehicle Fees About To Skyrocket - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Sticker Shock: California Vehicle Fees About To Skyrocket

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 6:59 PM
Updated: Apr 29, 2009 6:59 PM
California drivers will soon have to shell out more money to register a car. That's because the vehicle license fee is going up starting May 19. Some residents are finding out the hard way that the fee is based on the value of your car.

Governor Schwarzenegger's campaign promise flew out the window April 1. But even if you aren't in the market for a new car, you're still not off the hook. Starting May 19, vehicle licensing fees are going up half a percentage point.

For example, take one of our news vehicles, a 2005 Ford Expedition. Last year the licensing fee was $112, but after May 19, the fee will go up to $198.

It's all a part of the state's plan to help lessen the $42 billion deficit. The increased licensing fee, along with the one percent sales tax and personal income tax increase will create about $12.5 billion in revenue. But for residents it just means more money out of pocket.

California has to get back in the black somehow. I don't want to leave, so I will pay the price," a car owner said.

The income and sales tax increase across the state is the first of its kind in 17 years.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
A part of California's vehicle registration fee has been value-based for many years. I seem to recall that my vehicles' registration fees included a 2% ad valorem tax when I moved out in 1993.

Northern Virginia is hardly a financial paradise for car owners. :icon_cry:

The gross 2009 county personal property tax on my ’09 Forester was $732.46. Note that this amount includes a 25% pro-rated reduction because I only owned the car for 9 months of 2009. My actual PPT payment was $252.61 because the State of Virginia picked up much of the tab as a result of our “No More Car Tax” legislation passed several years ago, and subsequently modified.

Viriginia charged an annual registration fee of $50.75 for the license plates, including “special” and personalized” fees (see plate icon at left). Mandatory safety inspections cost $16 per year, and mandatory smog inspections cost $28 every two years.

My current adjusted annual total for the Subaru is $333.36. Next year, our county will charge an extra $33 car decal fee to help balance the county budget.

On the other hand, out state- and county sales taxes combined (5%) are lower than California's, and out state's top income tax rate (5.75%) is only ~1/2 that of California's.

Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i still have my VA decal on my windshield. :biggrin: i remember paying for inspection every two years which is a minimal cost and no smog checks.

Vienna is just a few minutes away from Springfield. i guess the high rates coincide with newer vehicles.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
That is one rough bill. Does your municipality ding you for an excise/property tax on the vehicle, as well? And why does the CHP get $22 out of your registration fee????? Can't those guys buy their own donuts? Dang...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,050 Posts
A part of California's vehicle registration fee has been value-based for many years. I seem to recall that my vehicles' registration fees included a 2% ad valorem tax when I moved out in 1993.

Northern Virginia is hardly a financial paradise for car owners. :icon_cry:

The gross 2009 county personal property tax on my ’09 Forester was $732.46. Note that this amount includes a 25% pro-rated reduction because I only owned the car for 9 months of 2009. My actual PPT payment was $252.61 because the State of Virginia picked up much of the tab as a result of our “No More Car Tax” legislation passed several years ago, and subsequently modified.

Viriginia charged an annual registration fee of $50.75 for the license plates, including “special” and personalized” fees (see plate icon at left). Mandatory safety inspections cost $16 per year, and mandatory smog inspections cost $28 every two years.

My current adjusted annual total for the Subaru is $333.36. Next year, our county will charge an extra $33 car decal fee to help balance the county budget.

On the other hand, out state- and county sales taxes combined (5%) are lower than California's, and out state's top income tax rate (5.75%) is only ~1/2 that of California's.

Jim / crewzer
Yep, they get you here in VA.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
They're trying to get us all onto bicycles.
"They" are morons who refuse to realize they need to be serving people who chose them instead of forcing their ideas onto others.

Stan

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
Yep...just what Silke posted about CA auto registration. It's how A'nold got the governor's job. It was, at that time, so cool! Got a couple of hundred back from the state. But now, CA is in a craphole :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
we ONLY pay 450$ per year. Not that I see it do any good for the roads around here. They use the money for something else I guess. :crazy:

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dont complain about your $222, my 07 cost $290
You would complain too if you're not used to paying over $40 to renew your car registration.

yaa im up there too. 220 PLUS i need a smog certificate!!
When do we need to get smog certificates? I have this smog abatement fee so does this go away after the car is 6 years old and then do i need to do the smog stuff after that?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Yup, first 6 years you don't have to smog, and after that it's every other year (except in some locales where there is no smog requirement, like Lake Co. and certain parts of Mendocino Co.).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts