Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently about to pack up and move to Oregon, about a 700 mile stretch. Looking at all my options the obvious cheapest is just a UHaul trailer.
I am moving a 1 bedroom apartment and throwing out all the bookcases and dressers before the move.
My 03 is obviously getting on in years and miles, and I would hate to have to put her down somewhere on the road to Oregon.
Has anybody towed that much weight for that long of a drive with an 03-05? Should I be rightfully concerned and just shell out the extra $1000 for the UHaul truck?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Currently about to pack up and move to Oregon, about a 700 mile stretch. Looking at all my options the obvious cheapest is just a UHaul trailer.
I am moving a 1 bedroom apartment and throwing out all the bookcases and dressers before the move.
My 03 is obviously getting on in years and miles, and I would hate to have to put her down somewhere on the road to Oregon.
Has anybody towed that much weight for that long of a drive with an 03-05? Should I be rightfully concerned and just shell out the extra $1000 for the UHaul truck?
We did 3300lbs with our 2001 Forester over 1500 miles. So your 700 miles will be nothing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
What kind of weight are you looking at towing and will the trailer have its own brakes?

Have your headgaskets been done recently and do you have a transmission cooler? I'd be making sure the cooling system is in tip-top condition with fresh oil and carry spare water/coolant just in case.

I've done a tad over 2,000Kg (4400Lbs?) for 400 miles ish with my 05 Turbo that has a factory transmission cooler and the trailer had it's own brakes - She did it but I would not recommend it to anyone.

From memory the head gaskets blew within 6 months of that tow, even though the temp gauge did not budge a hair at the time of the tow - Make of that what you wish. I also had WRX calipers with EBC BlueStuff brake pads so quite an upgrade on OEM spec.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see using the truck unless there is a way to safely tow your car...not familiar with that ability( or not)..
Think some years/ transmissions need a flatbed tow.
They do offer a flatbed tow option. Little more expensive than the dolly, but supposedly their trucks can tow it just fine.

What kind of weight are you looking at towing and will the trailer have its own brakes?

Have your headgaskets been done recently and do you have a transmission cooler? I'd be making sure the cooling system is in tip-top condition with fresh oil and carry spare water/coolant just in case.

I've done a tad over 2,000Kg (4400Lbs?) for 400 miles ish with my 05 Turbo that has a factory transmission cooler and the trailer had it's own brakes - She did it but I would not recommend it to anyone.

From memory the head gaskets blew within 6 months of that tow, even though the temp gauge did not budge a hair at the time of the tow - Make of that what you wish. I also had WRX calipers with EBC BlueStuff brake pads so quite an upgrade on OEM spec.
Headgaskets haven’t been done since I bought the car in 2010.
Radiator was replaced a couple of years ago, and the water pump is only a couple of months old. I have an auxiliary trans cooler that I have yet to install too.
And the trailers have “surge brakes” I guess that means there is a cylinder in the hitch that applies the brakes when the trailer moves towards the car? No actual electronic brakes though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
They do offer a flatbed tow option. Little more expensive than the dolly, but supposedly their trucks can tow it just fine.

Headgaskets haven’t been done since I bought the car in 2010.
Radiator was replaced a couple of years ago, and the water pump is only a couple of months old. I have an auxiliary trans cooler that I have yet to install too.
And a trans temp gauge? (y) Or talk to Scangauge and see if your yr Subi is supported.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@norcal_not_nevada How did the tow go in the end?
Turns out we had ALOT more stuff than I thought we did. Towing with me car went out the window that way. Her 04 FXT doesn’t have a tow hitch, so we couldn’t pull anything with hers. Had to end up towing my 03 behind a Uhaul for 800 miles.
I love my Forester to death, but if I move 800 miles again I will probably just pick up another forester in my new city. Mountain passes in the rain are not recommended when you are an inexperienced tow-er.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts