Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I ended up going with the BFG Long Trail T/A Tours, 215/70x16, as you recommended. Love them. They look ridiculously better. Thanks for the recommendation, George.
Glad you like them. Mine have 28k miles on them and are barely worn, so they're gonna last you a LONG time. They are not the most aggressive tires you could get, but give a great road ride and I've been through 2 Michigan winters with mine.

And yeah, the look is definitely more "SUV" like than the OEM Bridgestones. You can park next to a Ford Escape without quite so much of the "pumpkin on a roller skate" look... IMO, they have a great "just right" factor for the Foz if you're not shooting to be an autocrosser or a hard core off-roader.

Good luck,
George

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
How are the BFG Long Trails in the snow and ice? I was going to put on a set of 215/70-16 dedicated winter tires, but now I'm wondering if the Long Trails might be a decent year around compromise. I have a base 2009 2.5X like yours, 5-speed, wheel covers, Dark Gray Metallic paint. The stock duelers almost got me in an accident a couple times in the recent winter storm we had here.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
How are the BFG Long Trails in the snow and ice? I was going to put on a set of 215/70-16 dedicated winter tires, but now I'm wondering if the Long Trails might be a decent year around compromise. I have a base 2009 2.5X like yours, 5-speed, wheel covers, Dark Gray Metallic paint. The stock duelers almost got me in an accident a couple times in the recent winter storm we had here.
I have 28k miles on mine and have been through 2 full Michigan winters with them, and just parked in a snowbank last night at a friend's party and got out just fine.

I am asbsolutely certain that dedicated winter tires, with a stickier compound, would be much better on ice, but the Long Trail TA Tours do quite well on the Forester in just about all snow conditions I've experienced. On glare ice, it comes down to the stickiness of the rubber on the ice. There are a lot of biting edges in the tread if you look at some pictures of the tires, more horizontal siping than the Bridgestones, and much more blocky stuff happening on the edges of the tires, so if there is anything on the surface of snow or ice to be gripped, there is more on the tire to grip it.

If you look at Tirerack's reviews, the Bridgestones get abysmal scores--including their snow/ice ratings, whereas the BFG's are pretty good. I think the BFG survey results also get polluted by reviews on the previous Long Trail (non tour) which was not as good on the snow/ice. This tire is a totally new design as of 2008, and actually has a lot of similarity to the Michelin MXV4 tires (I've had 3 sets of these in different generations on different cars including a set of Primacy MXV4's on my wife's '07 Civic right now and love them) but with more blocky stuff happening.

As a compromise tire, especially for the price and their apparent longevity, I have been absolutely satisfied with the Long Trail TA Tours. It really looks like I'm gonna get 60-80k miles out of them. And I like the way they ride (quite quiet and smooth) and look.

George

·
Registered
171 Posts
YoGeorge thanks for making this post it helped meto decide my choice of tires the pics help to. I just got the same BFG for mine got them mounted today and so far what a big difference these tires make Fozzy rides alot better and smoother and these tires are great on Forestry roads (gravel and dirt and even red clay and sand they work well in all of those so thanks man :banana: They look good on my Fozzy with the Subtle Lift kit i already have on. Plus the tires lifted it about another inch. So im Satisfied :rock:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hey Madmax....glad they are working for you. They seem like a natural choice for the Foz in a lot of ways. Here's to a lot of safe and happy miles for ya,

George

·
Registered
25 Posts
YoGeorge put me on a set of BFG Long Trails and I love them. Just went through a Southern snow/ice event and I was very impressed with these tires. I rolled past other cars and even some trucks that got stuck on hills in the frozen blanket , but these tires pulled great and rarely did I even feel a slight drift on almost solid ice. I even took a right 90 degree turn facing an oncoming car and never slid on the ice but cornered it just fine. I want to get some winter tires for my future winters in the mountains , after we move further North, but for this Georgia town, these BFG's are just fine.
They look a ton better than the OEM Duelers , as well. Smoother ride and not as noisey as the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I did a long analytical post about gas mileage (prolly in this thread) and have concluded that after adjusting 3% for the greater tire diameter, there is basically no change in fuel economy from the stock Bridgestones (and I had those on my Foz for 9k miles.) The Long Trail TA Tours roll very nicely. They weigh a bit more than the stockers (but are tougher as well).

I noted the math error; height increase is only a half inch (or .45 inch if you want to be exact :icon_razz:).

I'm on my 3rd Michigan winter and they have gotten me thru a lot of crappy weather conditions but if I were living where roads are not maintained in the winter or wanted to venture offroad in winter, I'd get dedicated snows. Still, I believe both the tread pattern and edge blocks on the BFG's are tons better than the round-shouldered Bridgestone stockers.

Good to hear that yours are working for ya, Terry. I'm pretty critical of tires and these still hit me as "just right" for the 16" wheel Foz for a bit of toughness but great street manners.

George

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Now with 31k miles on stock Duelers... and they started to hydroplane in the rain this year. Last year they were fine.
So I went with 215/70/16... but I bought take-offs from a 2010 Outback.
ContiProContact. 24lbs. each. Came mounted on OEM steel wheels with the hubcaps, but no TPMS. Brand new, taken off first week of ownership. I'll have the look but not the white lettering.:icon_frown:
I'm going to drive them without the TPMS. I'm trying to take my Duelers to 37k miles or change to new tires before fall, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wanted to say that after reading these posts, I have also decided to go the Long Trails route for the same reason that YoGeorge did, my car looks kinda limp with those little stock tires that are rounded around the edges. For those interested in trading in your newish tires you would be interested to know that the max that Discount tires will give you for your trade in's are $30 bucks each tire. Mine have 7K miles on them (as opposed to YoGeorge's 9K) so I am going to hold them to the max amount. Will post pics when I have done the deed. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and especially to YoGeorge.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi guys:
I am still happy with my choice of the Long Trail TA Tours and they are wearing REALLY well. I have 42k miles on them, and swear that somewhat more than half the tread depth is still there. I should get a tread depth gauge or little ruler and measure them but I'm a bit busy lately. They are wearing really evenly, with maybe a tiny bit more wear in the centers as I keep them around 34-35 lbs in front, 1 lb less in the rear.

I just did a 630 mile round trip to Chicago last weekend and really like the ride and handling of the tires.

Over the 42k miles, I have had no problems except for one puncture which fortunately was repairable. I am guessing they would still be quite good in the snow, but this last winter, we had almost ZERO snow in Michigan. I enjoy playing in the snow, but am kind of glad that the body and chassis missed their annual pickling in road salt over the winter.

So on a cost per mile basis, these are proving to be a great tire for the '09+ Foz.

George

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,813 Posts
Those BFG Long Trails look damn good on there, white lettering always looks more rugged and tough. I'm running 215/70 R16 BFG All Terrains at the moment. Might have to pick me up some of these for my spare set of wheels for non-off-road trips.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts