Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Limtd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fit a 215/70R16 Cooper Tires DISCOVERER A/T3 in a 2012 2.5x spare tire well? Could you do so with no modifications, and at regular tire pressure?

Has anyone fit other 215/70R16s in the 2012 2.5x spare well? I.e. General Tire Grabber AT2 or BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2?

Tiresize.com reports the AT3s as 27.73", but also that 215/70R16 standard size is 27.9".
Measuring the spare wheel well indicates these are right on the fence of fitting vs not fitting, the retailers don't have any on display around here for me to test.

I've searched these threads for a few hours, and can't find confirmation that anyone has fit a 215/70R16 in the spare tire well of a 2012 2.5x (the dealership tells me they think the 2012 is a 4th gen SJ, but many online sources say 2012 may be a 3rd gen SH). One poster indicated he fit the 215/70R16 General Grabber AT2 in spare well in a 2010 Subaru XT, but i don't know if the spare well is sized differently.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Limtd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone hammered out the bottom slanted sides of the spare tire well if a tire was close to fitting but didn't quite fit?
Looks like nothing important is touching where one would need to hammer! Scared to pull the trigger on 5x wheels and 5x tires if I can't fit the 5th there!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
You should have an SH Forester.

Run your VIN number at Subaru.com to confirm,if in doubt, under vehicle resources:

https://www.subaru.com/owners/index.html

I would consider a tire on a 16' rim that is to big to fit in the spare tire well a tire too big for your vehicle, as in excessive unsprung weight. Your stock size is 215/65 -16. The extra 5% gain in aspect ratio is really not worth the trouble in my view. Just pick a tire (with the greater load range, if truly needed) in the stock size out of your list.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65SR6KO2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...TR6GRAT2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Limtd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
karlaudi, thanks.

Its about 7% more sidewall, and 0.45" of extra ground clearance. I've got to buy new wheels and new tires, I figure I might as well get the largest possible and lots of people in this forum have indicated it fits fine in the wheel wells and does not rub, I don't know what you mean by excessive unsprung weight.

subaru.com has no info for a Canadian VIN and there appears to be no Canadian equivalent, no one at the two dealerships in my city knows, and the Subaru Canada people have no idea what generation it is!

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Limtd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
215/70R16 Cooper Tires DISCOVERER A/T3 fits well in a 2012 2.5x spare wheel well, at regular pressure with no modifications required. Roughly 5mm to spare.
Jack foam fits inside 6.5x16 costco steel wheel, but top square foam will not fit, must remove it.
Lots of space to fit emergency equipment.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Limtd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics didn't get posted in my upload. no idea why.
Those tires also fit well in the wheel wells, no rubbing noticed on regular street driving. will update if i notice any rub offroad or over big bumps in the future.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited 4dr All 6-speed CVT w/OD and auto
3 Posts
Offtopic : My friend had those tires on CRV and he was very happy with them

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
475 Posts
I'm not kyle, but I'm using the 9 hole steelies that were found as full sized spares in the 2nd gen Foresters and the black 16'' steelies that were used for hubcaps on the Imprezas and 3rd gen Foresters. Running 215 70 16 Hankook ipike snow tires .

I'd love to find the 5 spoke steelies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts