Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04 XT
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha... I tried to make that title as specific and helpful as possible for future searching. I know when I searched for info I didn't find much, so I thought I'd try to help out. I was about to buy Winterforces as an aggressive tire until I realized I could get a 215/60/17 Yokohama AT that would work on a 17" rim that'll clear Brembos, not hit the fenders, and not rub the struts! I honestly don't know if anyone has put a "real" all terrain tire on a Subaru with Brembos yet... The stock '04 STi wheel will easily clear brembo brakes, is a narrow 7.5" wide, and holds its' value really really well. I looked everywhere for a wheel that would do all of these and I didn't find anything. You can buy a Rota wheel for $700 shipped, but I was patient and found a set of silver STi wheels for $500. The only bummer is they have a deep offset and wont take more than a 215 width tire. Trust me... the inside of the tire is maybe 2mm off the strut. But if you have Brembo brakes and want to do rally or off roading, this is a great option!

And also, Primitive make a fantastic skid plate for Foresters that WILL clear an aftermarket oil pan such as the Killer Bee (Killer-B). I don't think it'll clear the Moroso...? It's close on the Killer B.

I'm going to upload more pics of the setup, but until I give my Fozz a bath here is the type of stuff I've been driving through. No problem at all! Crawled right through it...

·
Registered
04 XT
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and depending on my mood I'll take an hour and a half (start to finish) and swap my strut/spring/wheel package over to my race setup which looks like this:

This is why I love my car...

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
nice purchase! I have no personal experience with the AT-S, but people love them and I do recommend them based on that. I bet they will last you a bit longer than the Winterforce. That being said, I LOVE my winterforce's and they have done very well for me in all types of offroad conditions.

·
Registered
07 XT
70 Posts
I was about to buy Winterforces as an aggressive tire until I realized I could get a 215/60/17 Yokohama AT that would work on a 17" rim that'll clear Brembos, not hit the fenders, and not rub the struts!
I believe you've answered my question... so this means I could fit a 215/60R17 Geolandar AT/S on my MY07 XT stock suspension?

I'm due to replace my G900's and this might be the go!

·
Registered
04 XT
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you've answered my question... so this means I could fit a 215/60R17 Geolandar AT/S on my MY07 XT stock suspension?

I'm due to replace my G900's and this might be the go!
Unless your wheel offset (or width) is more than +53 (or 7.5"), yes. :rock:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
when i saw this thread - i was like no way he did this w/ the summer suspension!?!? haha, cant wait for pics!

your foz def does a major transformation! best of both worlds, you're my hero! :Banane35:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
You know, you can order Team Dynamics wheel in any offset for less than $1k. You could sell those STi wheels and exchange for the TD's which will clear Brembo's as well.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
Will that size tires rub with Swift spring? I am running 225/55R17 but looking at dedicated winter tires that are a bit taller and narrower. Not really looking to use different suspension setup.
225/55R17 are about 26.7" tall while the 215/60R17 are about 27.2" tall

·
Registered
04 XT
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will that size tires rub with Swift spring? I am running 225/55R17 but looking at dedicated winter tires that are a bit taller and narrower. Not really looking to use different suspension setup.
225/55R17 are about 26.7" tall while the 215/60R17 are about 27.2" tall
I have no experience with that, but if you think about it there isn't much reason why they would. If you don't change the bump stops or travel in any way you're not cycling the suspension more or less than stock, so if they fit now over big bumps/jumps they should be fine. Just less travel and firmer ride... It's basically like putting 600 pounds of bricks into a stock car. I've kinda wondered what Swift springs would look like with this setup... but if I want to go fast I'll just swap back to Summer.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I'm having a tough time getting a 225/50/17 tire on my Ver7's to fit. Same wheel specs as the STi BBS's. Going to use adjustable lateral links and a rear camber bolt and see if it'll work. Running FSTi struts/springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts